Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Are you a Mobile Developer with a passion for building great experiences? Are you passionate about Mobile applications and do you want to lead a new team with the goal to establish best practices and take our mobile experience to the next level? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a big impact in a company with a global impact and a startup culture?
Alexa Communications is reinventing the way customers enjoy and connect to one-another in a genuine and meaningful way. We are building products that make it easy, even effortless, for customers to connect with loved ones - no matter what device or platform they want to start that conversation on. We are gearing up to launch new products, devices, and features that just may change how people view what Alexa means in their life.
Who you are: You are an experienced Mobile Software Engineer with more than 3 years of experience shipping great Mobile apps. You are a creative, customer and details obsessed Mobile app developer with a solid background building applications on either iOS and/or Android. In addition to being technically deep you have exceptional product ownership and the ability to own a project from inception through to deployment and operations. You enjoy the freedom, mobility, and the ability to do things in mobile apps, that you just cannot accomplish any other way. You spend most of your time using higher level language constructs because that is usually the fastest way to get things done, but you will get your hands dirty with OS API calls when you need to. You know that a great mobile app not only does the job, but does it with a great flow and look and feel. You love building software that makes people say "wow, that is amazing" and "I did not know you could do that". You love working with a smart, talented team because you know that makes you better. You love solving complex problems with simple code.
What you will do here: You provide mobile perspective and context for technology choices. You're up to the challenge of device and mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and other mobile development curve balls. You are motivated to tackle ambiguous situations with new technologies to rapidly produce prototypes. You will make the most out of the modern tools like Node.js, React, and play an integral role in re-shaping Alexa Comms mobile experience. You outline paths from prototype to product. You are a technical leader for your team. You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team. You will work closely with other teams throughout Amazon to design and architect solutions that will scale to hundreds of millions of customers. You will build new Mobile apps and build great new features to our existing apps.
What you will get from us: A great team to work with and the chance to build top tier Mobile apps at a proven top tier company. You will get a startup like culture with the stability of an established industry leader. You will get support and resources from some of the smartest people in the industry to continue learning. You will build software that will materially improve people's lives.
You should be here. Come join us now!
You're chatting and making memories every day. Maybe you're in a video call streaming your kids playing on the swings, making a quick call while running errands to your parent, or just dropping in to have a conversation with your significant other while on your lunch break. On the Alexa Show and beyond, Communications brings you face-to-face with loved ones. In the Alexa Communications team, we want to help people have more meaningful and genuine conversations with each other. We're looking for a mobile app expert to help us revolutionize how customers manage and interact with each other in real-time.
As a key member of the Alexa Communications team you will be an innovator, playing a direct role in shaping and building products that customers love on top of Amazon's technology. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. At Amazon, every engineer has the opportunity to positively impact millions of customers and you will be called on to identify and realize these opportunities.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent
• 3+ years of industry experience in software development
• 3+ years of industry experience developing applications with C#, Java, or equivalent.
• 3+ years of industry experience deploying scalable software
• Have worked across multiple platforms to deliver software, including the service side and client side.
• Track record of delivering high quality desktop or mobile software that customers love.
• Deep working experience with modern desktop program languages: C#, Objective C, Swift, Java
• Deep understanding of service side development.
• Understand the client side and service side interaction requirements
• Working knowledge of interprocess communication protocols and techniques.
• Experience integrating against REST and RPC based web services
• Strong object oriented design and working knowledge of data structure and algorithms.
• Experience optimizing applications for performance in memory and CPU limited environments.
• Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
The Alexa Communications team's mission is to bring people closer together by enabling customers to use their Alexa devices for convenient, natural, and expressive conversations. We launched Alexa calling and messaging, allowing customers call and message anyone who has an Echo, Echo Dot, or the Alexa app, and make and receive video calls on the new Echo Show. Come and join us!
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top