Amazon GuardDuty is a customer facing threat detection service that was built to protect applications and services running in AWS. The service processes trillions of events and applies advanced analytics and machine learning to detect threats. If you are interested in learning about operating a service at massive scale and working alongside world class engineers, then this role is for you.
The Amazon GuardDuty team is looking for a strong software engineer to help build the future of the service. The team interacts with Math PhD's and security researchers to codify security analytics into the service. The researchers use various Machine/Deep Learning algorithms to build new detections for the service. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable and globally distributed security systems for assisting our customers with security and compliance.
We are seeking a Software Development Engineer with a strong knowledge of distributed systems to develop a new and innovative security service. This position is on a new team that you will be joining at its inception and it will have a startup feel. You must enjoy working on complex software systems in a customer-centric environment and be passionate not only about building good software but also ensuring that the same software achieves its goals in operational reality.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• B.S. in Computer Science, Math, or some other algorithmic-centric discipline
• 3+ years of professional experience in software development
• 3+ years of experience leading the delivery of large-scale distributed systems
• 3+ years of experience with object-oriented design
• 3+ years of experience with scalable, API based agent or service-oriented software architecture
• 3+ years of experience with agile development methodologies for continuous development of product and technology
• M.S. in Computer Science, Math, or some other algorithmic-centric discipline
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience building network security systems such as firewalls, unified threat management, and virtual private network technologies
• Data-driven and quantitative mentality. Always backs up ideas with facts
• Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced environment previous startup experience a plus
. Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
. Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us