Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
It's truly Day 1 for our team in AWS. This is your opportunity to be a founding engineer on a new team that's building a suite of AWS Apps and Services to tackle a huge new problem space. You'll be an integral part of building services that leverage cutting edge AWS technologies like SageMaker, Forecast, Athena, QuickSight, Glue, and more.As an early member of this team, you'll wear many hats. You'll help design the overall architecture, you'll own large chunks of design and development work for various components, and you'll establish the technology processes and practices that will lay the groundwork for the organization as it grows.
We're looking for software developers that thrive when presented with complex new challenges and can serve as strong mentors for other engineers as the team grows. Think of this as a start-up within AWS, combining the challenges and growth opportunities of a start-up with the scale and scope of AWS. This is your chance to think big, fail fast, learn even faster, and iterate quickly to launch.
Although what we're building is still confidential, as a software developer you can expect to:
• Deal with ambiguity in solving a complex problem space that has not been tackled at this scale before.
• Work with other engineering teams who are aligned towards the same goal with many opportunities for cross-team influence, architecture, and collaboration.
• Build a customer facing product from the ground up and deliver it to market quickly.
• Be a key contributor in setting the teams technical direction, best practices, and plan for the years ahead
• Front-end and full stack engineers will work closely with Product, UX, and Engineering teams to define the end product and customer experience and then implement it with best of breed web technologies and AWS services.
• Back-end engineers will build the core backbone infrastructure and platform of services leveraging key AWS capabilities and cutting edge ML, AI, and analytics models.
This team is a great fit for you if:
• You enjoy working with a fun team that prides itself on a great work environment with an inclusive group of people that are working together towards a common goal.
• You are sensitive to customer needs and interested in working on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers and has a meaningful impact to their functions and interactions.
• You'd like to be directly responsible for solving real customer problems.
• You are a passionate learner and are motivated to take on new challenges.
• You want to have fun; surround yourself with a highly talented pool of engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also enjoy work life balance.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee -led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technical discipline or equivalent industry experience
• 3+ years of professional software development experience
• 2+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design and contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Communication skills for both a technical and business audience.
• Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: machine learning, large-scale distributed systems and linear optimization techniques
• Experience with designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment using micro services architecture
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top