Amazon's Cambridge UK based Simulation and Experimentation (SimEx) team is looking for an experienced and passionate Software Development Engineer (SDE) to join our fast-paced stimulating environment, to help invent the future of retail with technology.
The SimEx team is part of the Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) organization. The charter of the SCOT team is to maximize Amazon's return on our inventory investment in terms of Free Cash Flow, and customer satisfaction. We accomplish this by applying simulation, advanced statistical methods, and empirical analysis to predict and evaluate Amazon's inventory needs. The SimEx team builds systems that allow SCOT to answer "what if?" questions about our supply chain, our fulfillment network, and our customers. This puts the SimEx team at the nexus of operations, logistics, capacity planning, and our retail business teams. To learn more about Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) at Amazon, watch this amazing video: http://bit.ly/amazon-scot.
As a SDE on the SimEx team you will work with a team of Software Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Researchers, and Product Managers, across multiple teams to design, develop and maintain innovative solutions that form the backbone of the simulation and experimentation systems that drive Amazon's retail business forward. These systems cover a broad range of solutions which include front-ends, workflows, advanced mathematical models, and data platforms, built using latest technology frameworks and AWS. This opportunity is perfect for highly motivated and talented software engineers who want to apply and grow their technical depth and breadth while defining and driving key aspects of the customer experience on Amazon.com.
Successful outstanding candidates will bring strong technical and analytical abilities, combined with a passion for delivering results for customers, internal and external. This role requires a high degree of ownership, and a drive, to solve some of the most challenging data and engineering problems in retail.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
This role might be for you if...
• You design at the product level with heavy involvement through all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) using concepts that may include Service Oriented Architecture, workflow automation, relational and non-relational databases, microservices, sharding, n-tiered architecture, cloud and/or map-reduce.
• You use object-oriented or functional programming design concepts to program large multi-tier systems. You have working knowledge of common and useful design patterns.
• You have designed, refactored, re-architected, deprecated and/or implemented large-scale cloud-based distributed services with millisecond latency and ultra-high transactional volumes.
• You have experience implementing best practices in improving team coding culture subjected related to quality and/or security.
• You effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions to technical and non-technical audiences.
In this job, you will...
• Experiment with whatever technology we need to get the job done.
• Use Lean Software Development concepts such as Agile, Scrum and Kanban.
• Use engineering best practices, such as Test-Driven Development, code review and Continuous Deployment.
• Expand and optimize our world-class supply chain systems to support a variety of emerging business initiatives.
• Directly contribute to the design and development of prediction systems.
• Maintain, operate and improve existing systems that running in production.
• Cooperate with data scientists and data engineers to implement intelligent systems in large scale production environment.
• Collaborate with colleagues from multidisciplinary science, engineering and business backgrounds.
• Conduct written and verbal presentations to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related technical discipline.
• 3+ years' full-time industry experience in software design and development.
• Proficiency with at least one Object Oriented language (e.g. Java, C# or C++).
• Experience with the full software development life cycle, including source control system, code reviews, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Experience with distributed systems, relational/non-relational databases.
• Experience with at least one functional language (e.g. Scala or F#).
• Proficiency with a broad range of design approaches and architectures with the proper level of complexity.
• Experience with Big Data tools (e.g. Spark or Hadoop).
• Practical experience of Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies.
• Experience in supply chain is a plus.