The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Security team is looking for a Software Development Engineer who has a strong passion for security-at-scale. You will work on a small team dedicated to building new services, features, and tooling to improve AWS Security capabilities. We develop the tools that keep AWS safe from malicious actors, preventing, detecting, and mitigation security events. We work closely with our Application Security, Threat Intel, Security Operations, and Security Analyst teams, to drive security improvements.
The AWS Resource/Network Security is responsible for the security and availability of all of the services offered by AWS, including EC2, S3, and more than 100 others. This is a high visibility team that solves security challenges at a massive scale.
Our team deals with immense quantities of data, pushing the envelope on scale and various advanced analytical techniques to find and mitigate security threats. You'll be expected to develop robust large scale distributed systems for processing data, and to provide technical leadership to other engineers to do the same. While you may not be a security expert just yet, you have a passion for solving security challenges in innovative ways. You'll develop a broad and deep understanding of the overall AWS security posture and develop many of the core technology components to improve and scale.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
**This role is open to alternative locations including: New York, NY Boston, MA Seattle, WA - Herndon, VA Arlington, VA Baltimore, MD San Luis Obispo, CA San Diego, CA
• Bachelor's degree in computer science (or related field) or equivalent industry experience
• 2+ years of professional software development experience
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 2+ years of experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience providing technical leadership and mentor other engineers for the best practices
• Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines, and reporting
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems, ideally hosted through Amazon Web Services
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this roll
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.