Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Interested in Amazon Alexa? Come work on it. We're building the core services that run Amazon Echo and other Amazon products. We're working hard, having fun, making history; come join us!
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future. The Alexa Engine team moves toward the vision of delivering the Star Trek computer to our customers the world's best intelligent personal assistant, accessible via natural voice commands on any connected device. The Alexa Skills Runtime team creates friction-less and robust mechanisms for developers to access Alexa capabilities. We build a set of common features for Amazon and third party devices and developers by taking a high-level view of Alexa's experiences to ensure consistency and quality, and build the primitives that enable them to work together as a whole. A common set of standards and implementation decisions across our APIs will make them easier to build, and easier to consume by our development partners both inside (1P) and outside (3P) of Amazon.
As a member of the team you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in an environment where priorities shift fast.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelors degree or foreign equivalent in a technical field (computer science, mathematics or engineering or related subject matter) and 4 years or more of combined experience providing technical engineering support or tactical project management of technical initiatives.
• Three or more years of experience developing or supporting Java/C++ based systems and services.
• Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Experience with Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining web service API's
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non technical peers
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top