Software Development Engineer
- Boston, MA
Amazon Redshift is the world's most popular fully managed cloud data warehouse. Tens of thousands of enterprise customers use Redshift to crunch through exabytes of data in the cloud to make business critical decisions every day. To stay ahead in such a mission critical setting, at Redshift, we must always re-invent ourselves for customers. We are always looking for the innovative engineers to help shape the future of Redshift.
We are actively hiring talented software engineers in the query processing team of Redshift. Query processing is at the heart of Redshift data plane and is responsible for query analysis, query optimization and the massive parallel execution engine. As a software engineer in query processing, you will:
• Design and implement new SQL language features which add to the rich functionalities Redshift provides to the end users such as analysts, data engineers and data scientists.
• Design and implement state-of-the-art distributed data processing algorithms for the parallel execution query engine.
• Work on integration between Redshift and other AWS services in the AWS ecosystem, including data ingestion, federation, machine learning and many more.
• Identify opportunities for performance improvement by in-depth analysis of the query plan and query execution states.
• Deploy and monitor new features in a highly available and fault tolerant system running in the cloud.
• Mentor other engineers, providing technical guidance and helping to build a fast-growing team
This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast-growing business and help shape the technology powering analytical workloads for Fortune 500 companies, startups, and everything in between. You will bring deep technical, algorithmic and coding expertise with the ability to work within a fast moving and collaborative environment in the industry leading cloud company to deliver a broad business impact.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top