Software Development Engineer
- Boston, MA
Amazon Detective is an innovative, graph-based security analytics solution that helps security analysts investigate and triage security incidents. Detective combines security log data and threat detection events into a single view, providing graph visualizations and algorithms to answer analyst questions and allow them to drill down into detailed activity information.
You will be involved in a broad variety of back-end engineering functions component-level design and implementation, system monitoring and operational excellence, DevOps processes, and more. Our service is a complex distributed system with data processing and ingest, an internal graph store and query engine, and significant user-facing features on the roadmap, providing many opportunities for ownership and delivery.
Work/Life Balance & On-Call Responsibility
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. We generally keep core hours from 10am to 4pm. Some of us start earlier and some of us stay later. After a learning period, you will join the on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We work hard to build fault tolerant systems to minimize how often we get paged. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy coaching other engineers through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• BS or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience in commercial or cloud system software development in object-oriented languages, such as Java or C++
• 3+ Experience working with distributed data processing systems
• 3+ years of AWS experience
• Strong backend system design and implementation skills, with deep experience in distributed, asynchronous and concurrent processing
• Demonstrated success in a technical leadership role and strong mentoring skills
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and a highly collaborative attitude
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top