AWS Commerce Platform(CP) team based in Herndon, Virginia, is seeking a talented Software Development Engineer. You'll be working with passionate software engineers and technical managers. We are an innovative group whose solutions sit at the nexus of CP functionality and AWS customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and operating services that enable the CP stack to function in AWS regions disconnected from the rest of AWS. Isolated regions create a number of challenging engineering problems and often require us to collaborate with other engineering teams to create solutions. We take great pride in supporting the mission of our AWS customers.
The AWS Commerce Platform provides the back and front-end services that enable AWS customers to purchase AWS services and understand and manage their infrastructure costs. Our platform tackles some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We process trillions of events per month using stream processing techniques (Kinesis), process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Aurora). We process big data and provide tools for customers to interactively understand their bills. We also provide the analytics that let customers manage billions of dollars of IT usage and spending. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we also work closely across all AWS teams to ensure that we offer a great customer experience.
The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
This position may sit in either Herndon or Arlington, VA.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
What's in it for you?
- Competitive base salary we are Amazon...we have a peculiar way of doing things, but your base is only a part of your annual total compensation.
- Clearance / Mission Bonus
- Part of your compensation will be in actual shares of AMZN, not options or private equity shares.
- Sign-On Payment and a full relocation package.
- Comprehensive benefits package with multiple medical plans to choose from.
- 401k with company match.
- Generous paid time off with flexible work schedule and an emphasis on work/life balance.
- Life Insurance, subsidized HSA, FSA's, etc.
- Long term, stable career your employment is not tied to a contract billet.
- Last, but not least, a truly transformational career opportunity to work with cutting edge technology and to learn cloud building tools you can learn nowhere else!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or four years of equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience with focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security
- 2+ years of experience with web protocols and Linux/Unix tools and architecture
- 2+ years of experience building automated tools in Python, Java and/or Ruby
- Experience with agile software development practices
- Experience with open-source technologies
- Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
- Experience with maintaining distributed systems and web services
- Understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- Automation, testing or monitoring framework development
- System engineering experience in the cloud
- Self-drive to keep moving things forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (resilient to hazards of "analysis paralysis")
- Strong sense of ownership
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.