Software Development Engineer
- Nashville, TN
The Amazon Operations Technology (OpsTech) Development Engineering team is looking for talented Software Development engineers to join our team and help build robust services that can scale for the future. Amazon uses hundreds of thousands of hand held devices across our fulfillment network. The Development Engineering team provides authentication services and connectivity services for those devices, and other tooling to manage a global network of network devices and servers.
OpsTech provides tools and infrastructure to support deployment and operations of Amazon's ever-growing fulfillment network worldwide. From sites with million+ sqft, to Amazon's Air Cargo businesses, to small Last Mile delivery stations. OpsTech IT interacts with every piece of Amazon's package fulfillment network.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be responsible for building tools and services to manage services with business logic to enforce policy, but also provide a zero-touch provisioning experience for those interacting with the systems. The team is focused on building services which are beyond MVP, can scale without relying on hiring of operators, and can be used intuitively with little documentation.
Our team is looking for software developers who love listening to our customers, working as a team, and proactively taking the lead whenever necessary. Our mission is to innovate and build scalable and robust software solutions that deliver a great customer experience. These software solutions will directly impact Amazon's customers from product selection and order placement, to delivering products to our customers as quickly, cost effectively and safely as possible.
What you'll do?
• Participate in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful internet-scale systems and services in support of our fulfillment operations and the businesses they support.
• Participate in the definition of secure, scalable, and low-latency services and efficient physical processes.
• Work with cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
Understand system interdependencies and limitations.
Share knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• 4+ years of professional experience in software development
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience programming in Python
• UNIX or Linux experience
• Experience with scaling and performance of large systems
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Background in distributed computing, service-oriented architectures and enterprise-wide systems.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers.
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
• Full stack experience ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Experience in taking an ambiguous problem, breaking it down into tractable sub-problems and delivering them.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skill
• Obsession with quality and customer experience - attention to detail coupled with ability to think abstractly
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top