Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Consumer Reliability Engineering team drives programs and software initiatives to ensure the Amazon end user customer experience is indistinguishable from perfect. Our teams drive best engineering practices across the entire retail organization and take measures to reduce customer-impacting risks and improve software availability. Our software tests and measures the resilience of software applications, detects anomalies in the Amazon retail customer experience, localizes software problems and will eventually self-heals software problems before they occur.
As an SDE on the Consumer Reliability Engineering team, you will build software which detects anomalies in the retail customer experience within seconds, localize those anomalies within Amazon's ecosystem of tens of thousands of services and proactively repair software systems before a single Amazon customer is impacted. Additionally, we will create chaos experiments at all levels of granularity, from impacting hosting platforms on which services are running, to introducing latency in system-to-system interactions, to creating a complete loss of a significant portion of our architecture. The learnings from these experiments will drive the improvement of the software owned and operated by thousands of developers and provide guidance to our AWS partners.
You love a fast-paced, startup-like environments focused on building systems from the ground up. You will be responsible for scoping and delivering projects end-to-end, leveraging statistical evaluation, pattern recognition, and machine learning. You will deliver results personally and by leading your peers to deliver solutions that protect Amazon's services by proactively proving that the complex service graph powering Amazon retail websites globally are resilient against anomalous conditions created by failures, unexpected customer behavior, and even attackers.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of shipping complex software solutions through an agile methodology. You will have the ability to dive deep into a wide variety of problems and technologies to guide the right technical decisions for the products and the businesses you will support. You will bring multiple years of DevOps experience from both owning and operating solutions of scale. You will be a strong communicator and will have proven abilities in both architecture and software solutions.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 2+ years of experience in applications infrastructure management and operations
• Experience with high-availability systems
• Understanding and ability to apply Agile software development to improve software development reliability and velocity
• Understanding of CI/CD, test automation and robust system health monitoring
• Experience managing efforts in Unix/Linux environments
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, problem solving and complexity analysis
• Experience with full stack applications (including web and/or mobile)
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical field
• 8+ years of software development experience, preferably in building large-scale end-to-end distributed systems
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Able to design, develop, test and operate complex, highly available software systems at massive scale.
• Experience with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) concepts, practices
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience influencing software engineers, infrastructure engineers and operators on best practices (full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations)
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with Machine Learning
• Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top