Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon's global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Amazon Shipping Technology's primary focus.
We have built a world class Software engineering team which is focused on solving some of the complex problems in worldwide transportation using workflows, optimization algorithms, machine learning systems etc. These are large scale distributed systems handling millions of packages being shipped through our network. We are looking for software engineers with 6+ years of solid Software engineering experience involving solving complex problems. They will get to work on some of the key initiatives planned to support our rapid evolution and growth of the transportation network and in the process solve some of the most challenging problems. These engineers will provide the technical leadership to the team, drive best practices, mentor other engineers and drive continuous improvements in engineering excellence.
• Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 5+ years of software development experience in object-oriented and coding in , or
• Strong understanding of object oriented and concepts
• Strong understanding of database theory and experience with at least one relational or non-relational data store technology
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• Obsession with and customer experience - Attention to detail coupled with ability to think abstract
• Development experience on a UNIX or Linux platform
• Experience with building web service and service oriented architecture
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through its launch
• Experience in designing and building large scale distributed systems
• Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with both technical and non-technical customers in order to articulate technical challenges and solutions to complex problems, and understand ambiguous problems
If you are currently enrolled in or have graduated from a Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D program in the past 6 months, your background aligns more closely with our Student Programs openings. To learn more about our Student Programs and search for internships and full-time opportunities please visit this site: www.amazon.jobs/en/business_categories/student-programs
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Back to top