Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers on time, with low cost. The Middle Mile Transportation Technology organization, builds complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers, manage business rules for movements of millions of products, and improve our middle mile operations experience to deliver products for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started.
Amazon's global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering's primary focus.
Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation solution on the planet, using our technology and engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too!
Our team, Sort Tech, builds the technology that enables manual and automated sortation, containerization, loading and unloading processes at over 2k nodes in Amazon's worldwide transportation network - Fulfillment Centers (FCs), IXDs (Inbound Receive Centers), Sort Centers (SCs), Amazon Air Gateways and Delivery Stations (DSs). We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume, staffing and building configurations to optimize their operational processes.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Proven ability to work in a fast paced, agile environment and in an ownership and results-oriented culture
• Solid verbal and written communication skills
• Experience developing software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Experience with modern object-oriented programming languages such as Java, Ruby, or C#, preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform
• Master's degree or relevant work experience
• Strong demonstrated skills implementing and deploying high volume and highly scalable services
• Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing
• Strong skills and experience with programming, design, and architecture, and familiarity/experience with AWS and other cloud technologies
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, evaluate alternatives and describe product strategy, technical designs, and software product features
• Experience in full stack development ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top