Software Development Engineer
- Tokyo, Japan
Are you ready to build features which ensure that all users have a delightful shopping experience regardless of their abilities? Would you like to tackle challenging features for blind, low-vision, motor-impaired, and hearing-impaired customers? As a Software Developer on the Retail Accessibility team, you will help develop and test enhancements to the shopping experience for customers with disabilities.
The Retail Accessibility team owns ensuring our Amazon Retail ecosystem continues to be usable by all customers. We develop internal accessibility tooling as well as build exceptional experiences that conform to accessibility standards. We employ lean agile development and work in two-week iterations with code shipping daily. We own our entire code stack, from how fast our evaluations complete to how we surface and provide suggestions for resolution. We are a diverse team from a variety of backgrounds and interests who love dreaming up, validating, and shipping features that deliver big customer impact.
Our problem space provides a unique blend of challenges: you will build tools which educate developers and content creators to simplify user experiences, you will develop systems which automate various accessibility issues using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Machine Learning (ML) techniques, and you will build distributed systems to provide fast feedback within development life cycles.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Experience with accessibility standards such as WCAG 2.0
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top