Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
AWS is hosting a hiring event seeking talented Software Development Engineers! .
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers 165+ services to enable millions of active customers across 160 Points of Presence (65 cities in 29 countries) to run virtually any cloud workload. AWS services span compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), mobile, security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality (VR and AR), media, and application development, deployment, and management.
AWS Commerce Platform
The AWS Commerce Platform builds the software components upon which all other AWS teams build their services and run their businesses. We make it possible for AWS services to make their solutions available to customers with custom-made pricing and billing models, as well as providing functionality that allows service teams to securely accept payment for customers' service usage. We further provide AWS customers of all shapes and sizes with the ability to analyze, control, and optimize their costs via the AWS Cost Management product suite.
We believe in building simple, reliable, and low-cost systems that scale to serve our customers' needs via a set of customizable web service components built on a microservice architecture. We run our projects in small, autonomous teams, which opens up opportunities for our engineers to own projects all the way from design to delivery. In 2018 alone, we launched 60+ customer-facing features, demonstrating our continued commitment to rapidly deliver high-value features to our customers (both internal and external to AWS).
The AWS Commerce Platform is seeking talented problem solvers who are excited by the idea of building products that are used by developers, IT personnel, financial analysts, and business owners all over the world. At a high level, these are our tenets:
• Secure: We work diligently protect the confidentiality and integrity of billing, usage, cost, and other financial information.
• Reliable: We own the end-to-end billing and payments pipeline, and are committed to ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and visibility to our customers.
• Self-Service: We work to empower customers (both internal and external to AWS) with powerful, easy-to-use tools to help manage their products, access relevant information regarding their billing and payments, and manage their cloud costs.
• Flexible: The possibilities when operating on top of AWS are endless. We strive to support the needs of the broad base of AWS customers, while also providing the opportunity for customers with complex use cases to extend our platform to suit their business needs.
• Globalized: AWS operates internationally, so we have worked hard to ensure that our systems are globalized and can easily be localized for any market.
• Compliant: We continuously ensure that our systems meet all necessary regulatory compliance rules.
The AWS Commerce Platform team is organized into the following teams: AWS Metering & Bill Generation, AWS Insights, AWS Financial Experience, and AWS Fraud Prevention. You can learn more about each team's scope of responsibility and mission below.
AWS Metering & Bill Generation
The AWS Metering pipeline streams and processes all customer usage incurred on the AWS platform from around the globe. From there, the computation engine applies multidimensional input rules (such as purchase options and pricing dimensions) on trillions of usage events to compute and generate billions of real-time billing records with the ultimate goal of producing customers' bills. In addition, each AWS service must onboard onto the AWS Metering & Bill Generation platform prior to launch in order to define and sell their products. This process includes defining custom logic for computing and allocating charge amounts so that it can be reflected in customer bills, and maintaining a single source of truth with respect to AWS billing.
Our mission is to develop a high-performance, robust on-demand bill generation platform that scales horizontally and offers flexible pricing methods, enabling AWS service teams to define and sell their products at scale.
The AWS Insights team provides customers with granular insight into their cost and usage information via a suite of easy-to-use products, which include AWS Cost Explorer, AWS Budgets, and the AWS Cost & Usage Reports. Using these products, customers can analyze their costs and usage over time, set budgets that alert them when they exceed (or are forecasted to exceed) their user-defined thresholds, and access system-generated recommendations regarding opportunities for cost optimization. These products sit directly on top of the AWS Metering pipeline and empower customers of all shapes and sizes to better manage their costs and usage.
Our mission is to equip customers of all shapes and sizes with powerful products that enable them to access, organize, understand, optimize, and control their AWS costs and usage.
AWS Financial Experience
The AWS Financial Experience team owns the entire lifecycle of payment processing (including invoicing), collections, dunning, reconciliation, and refund services in order to provide a seamless payments and financial experience across AWS's customer base. As AWS operates internationally, we strive to support the full spectrum of international payment methods, monetary values, transaction volumes, and other use cases.
Our mission is to provide customers around the world with secure, reliable, and convenient ways to pay for their usage of AWS.
AWS Fraud Prevention
There will always be a few individuals who try to take unfair advantage of AWS and its customers, and the AWS Fraud Prevention team works tirelessly to outsmart them. We leverage the latest innovations in data mining, predictive modeling, machine learning, and web antifraud technical techniques (e.g., "random forest" algorithms) to ensure the safety of our customers and the AWS ecosystem.
Our mission is to leverage the latest technology, such as machine learning software, to detect and prevent fraudulent use of AWS resources.
Why join us?
• You will provide services that are core to all modern internet-based businesses
• You will be involved in the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, building, and testing new features
• You will operate an AWS business with globally distributed servers and customers.
• You will learn what it takes to grow and operate a global business at our scale
• You will have the opportunity to apply the large amounts of collected data toward improving our platform in new and innovative ways
• We care about both delighting customers and building high quality software -- we don't sacrifice one for the other
• We offer a fast-paced environment with a start-up atmosphere and we ship code every day
What are we looking for?
• Proficiency with object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
• Proficiency with a modern object-oriented programming language
• Ability to take a project from requirements analysis through to launch and operation of the system in production
• Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to lead cross-team technical initiatives
• 4+ years of experience in the role of Software Engineer, Software Developer, or similar position
• Bachelor's or advanced Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
• 3+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of software development experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C, C++, or C#, including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience of DevOps (SRE experience), supporting development teams in a Linux/Unix environment in large-scale, 24x7 production Environments
• 1+ years of experience building large scale web services or distributed system software
• Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to take a project or significant feature from concept to launch
• Knowledge of Linux systems and operating system internals
• Experience with large scale systems
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Back to top