Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
AWS Region Services is looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to join our diverse team that will be
building solutions to complex problems that will scale for Amazon Dedicated Cloud (ADC). ADC brings AWS cloud solutions to a broad range of customers, countries and organizations. We seek to find ways to address complex scenarios, innovate on behalf of the customer and deliver a uniform experience in all AWS regions.
To be successful in this role, you will have a strong technology background, are detail-oriented, and have excellent problem-solving abilities. You will have a deep understanding of scalable best practices related to delivering highly available solutions. You will successfully represent customers best interest to use automation and be a force multiplier. You will be passionate about delivering great customer experiences and developing new methodologies. You will have the opportunity to work closely with AWS leadership and a broad range of Service Teams to help facilitate large scale automation for building ADC solutions for global customers.
In this role you will:
Challenge themselves and teammates. Personal and professional growth is a key component of every day life at Amazon. The right candidate will be willing to take on hard problems and drive innovative automated solutions.
Have excellent communication and documentation skills. Able to communicate design and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences from interns to directors, through clearly documented coding, writing and verbally.
Have keenness to explore. We are not blatant path followers. The right candidate will be comfortable taking a contrarian view point when it makes sense for our customers.
Be a Proactive thinker. Thinking critically about long term growth and scaling to meet a global demand is key. The right candidate will be willing to thoughtfully consider all aspects of choices and outcomes.
Have patience and persistence. Global impact is an iterative process. The right candidate will have an ingrained improvement loop of setting goals based on customer feedback, designing solutions, executing, refining and continuously improving.
Software development engineers require a depth and breadth of knowledge in design and development, experience with agile methodologies, proficiency in a high-level language, and experience building highly scalable systems involving distributed services and persistent storage. You will own the design of major deliverables and have opportunities to build them from scratch. This is a high visibility and fast-paced environment where you will make a direct impact on the customer experience and the bottom line of the company.
Your responsibilities include:
• Working with business teams to understand customer issues and to investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative solutions
• Developing solutions to complex problems through improvements to processes or automation.
• Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
• Closely coordinating with engineers and product managers across the organization to ensure we are delivering the highest value solutions to meet our customer's needs
This position may sit in northern Virginia (Arlington HQ2 or Herndon) or in Seattle, Washington.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
We're dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Have questions, wish to apply or have a referral? Reach out to Kevin Healy directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Master's degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline or 5 + years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 5+ years programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python, Ruby, C++ including object-oriented design
• 5+ years of experience leading architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems in a service oriented architecture (SOA) environment.
• 5+ years experience in data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• 2+ years experience developing distributed software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• 2+ Development experience defining, developing and maintaining REST based interfaces.
• 2+ years experience with AWS services
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
• 1+ years experience mentoring, coaching and developing junior engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top