Software Development Engineer
- Perth, Australia
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading platform for designing and developing applications for the cloud and is growing rapidly with hundreds of thousands of companies in over 190 countries on the platform. The Tech360 team will be the authoritative source of customer metadata and the solutions team for applications that action AWS' strategies to better serve our customers. We invest resources in information and solutions enabling AWS sales and business teams that yield increased customer adoption and an optimal customer experience.
Are you an experienced software engineer passionate about building scalable, enterprise-level systems? We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to play a key role in building next generation tools and solutions. In addition to technical expertise, you will invest time to understand the needs of the business, the data behind it, and how to transform information into technical solutions that allow the business to take action. Ideal candidates will have expertise with all phases of the web application development life cycle and in building models that scale over time while balancing accuracy, flexibility, and speed.
In this role you will:
• Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in Java and other object-oriented languages.
• Build highly available, secure, distributed systems in microservices, container, and distributed cluster-compute architectures.
• Collaborate with some of the best engineers in the industry to work on some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing.
• Find out what it takes to engineer systems for "Amazon Scale".
• Own and operate the systems that you build based on real-time customer data and demanding service-level agreements.
• Contribute to planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as a member of a Scrum team.
• Play an instrumental role in defining the system architecture, own and implement specific components, and help shape the overall user experience.
You must insist on the highest standards for quality, maintainability, security, and performance as you will ensure that engineering best practices are followed and that software is designed to be highly available, dynamically scalable, and resilient to continuity threats. You should be able to thrive in an ever-changing entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You are a person with a commitment to team work and who enjoys working on cutting edge technology, is customer obsessed, and thrives on the challenge of building something new that will eventually operate at world-wide scale.
The right candidate will have a strong system delivery background, a well-rounded technical background in current web and object-oriented technologies, and demonstrated experience working on medium-to-large projects.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics or related discipline
• 5+ years of experience in design and development of data driven, highly scalable web applications with rich user interface in distributed cloud computing environment
Master's Degree in Computer Science or relevant technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
• Strong knowledge of one or more scripting language (Python, Perl)
• Experience building on AWS using S3, EC2, Redshift, Aurora, Lambda, QuickSight, etc.
• Experience using software version control tools (Git, Jenkins, Apache Subversion, Mercurial)
• Experience in setting up application monitoring solutions (ELK, CloudWatch, Kinesis Analytics, etc.)
• Experience with big data technologies (Spark, Hbase, HIVE, PIG)
• Experience in database design (normalization and de-normalization), SQL and NoSQL databases
• Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning about and playing with the latest technologies and building compelling web applications
• Work well in teams, respecting ideas from teammates, business partners, and technical experts
• Strong customer focus, ownership, and drive to get things done
• AWS certifications or other related professional technical certifications
• Experience with web technologies and techniques (HTML5, CSS, AJAX)
• Demonstrated experience in delivering software projects using Agile/Scrum methodologies
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for full stack software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, monitoring and operations
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
• Experience with both front-end interfaces and back end systems.
• Object Oriented Design and familiarity with application and database programming.
• Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO modeling, web services, UNIX, middleware, database and data mining systems.
• Experience with building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• Experience with big data technologies (MapReduce, Spark, Hbase, HIVE, PIG)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top