Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) is looking for experienced engineers to help us build the future of cloud storage. EBS provides high-performance virtualized storage for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), and is a key building block for many applications, from databases to distributed file systems and Hadoop clusters. As a member of the EBS team, you will have ownership over the design, implementation, and operation of one of the largest distributed systems in the world. You will work closely with a tight, agile team that ships features continuously, and you will be able to see the impact of your work on real customers!
DevX team within EBS is being newly created to improve developer experience through operational excellence, automation and prioritization driven by customer value. We work cross-functionally by building software systems that allow EBS engineers to build, test, qualify and ship products to external EBS customers faster. Our systems let developers spend more time on their core business logic and less time managing the mechanics of shipping code.
This is a hands-on position where you will do everything from designing and building extremely scalable components and cutting-edge features to formulating strategy and direction for EBS development experience. You will also mentor junior engineers and work with the most sophisticated customers in the business to help them get the best results. You need to not only be a top software developer with excellent programming skills, an understanding of network, storage and parallelization. You should also have a stellar record of delivery, excel at leadership, customer obsession and have a real passion for massive-scale computing.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the constantly evolving and growing Cloud Storage field.
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
- Delivering systems and features with top-notch quality, on time.
- Stay current on technical knowledge to keep pace with rapidly changing technology, and work with the team in bringing new technologies on board.
Consult the following links to find out more about the exciting work being done in Elastic Block Store.
AWS blog post about larger and faster EBS volumes:
CrowdStrike re:Invent presentation about running Cassandra on EBS:
How Amazon Web Services Uses Formal Methods:
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Amazon Women and Engineering and LGBTQ+.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Come help us build for the future of Elastic Block Storage!
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience taking a lead role in architecture, designing, and building complex software systems
• Experience working with Python.
• Linux, UNIX, UNIX tools.
• Master's in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
• Experience in communicating with customers, technical, business teams and management to collect requirements, describe product features, and technical designs.
• Experience with large scale systems.
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment
• Experience working with AWS technologies like Dynamo DB, Redshift, S3 etc.
• Experience mentoring Junior Engineers.
Back to top