Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in milliseconds, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, designed for 99.999999999% durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working on Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives any developer access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites.
Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home. As a Software in S3, you get to deliver these capabilities and delight our customers through teams of talented engineers and leaders.
We are looking for a senior engineering leader to take our storage system to the next level. How can you tell if that's you? You LOVE metrics, difficult problems and you're always on the hunt to reduce waste in any given system. You find simple, systemic fixes to improve things permanently. You're great at building and leading teams of software engineers and engineers and you collaborate extremely well with other teams, too. You inspire others to tackle super-difficult problems. Finally, you hunger to give customers what they want: highly performant, low-cost, always-on storage.
In this position, you'll have the opportunity to:
• Own some of S3's key efficiency goals and and lead new ones
• Drive the roadmap and innovation for your area
• Collaborate with other engineering leaders to find solutions to brain-contorting problems
• Develop the careers of your people, actively mentoring them
• Find new ways to improve the cost-effectiveness of the S3 operating platform, ranging from hardware through software-driven process improvement/automation and visibility
Our team puts high value on work/life balance. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, as well as allow for rich and happy personal lives. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We don't like getting paged outside of work hours so we work to ensure our are fault tolerant. When we do get paged we work together to resolve root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• 10+ years of relevant, broad engineering experience, including leading software engineering teams
• Repeated success leading significant software or projects from inception through launch, including communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features and produce technical designs
• Demonstrated expertise in system-level design and experience with web services and service oriented architectures and performance engineering
• Experience leading software life-cycle processes and best practices
• Practical experiencing working with and building large scale systems
• Strong customer focus - understanding of what customers expect from their compute infrastructure and passion for delivering on these problems and satisfying those customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.