Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Database Migration Service team is looking for engineers to join its control plane team. If you are interested in working on large-scale, real-time data processing systems, this could be the role for you.
The AWS Database Migration Service helps customers migrate databases to AWS easily and securely. The service is used by customers across the world to migrate their most important data from their on-premises datacenters to Amazon services. Our customers depend on our services' reliability and security to handle their business data. More information on AWS DMS is available at http://aws.amazon.com/dms
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to deliver new features and drive improvements to the scalability and performance of the control plane. As we experience significant growth in our service, we need to improve the efficiency with which we move all our customers data through our system. DMS support a wide variety of data sources and data targets, from databases to data streaming systems. DMS also delivers rich data transformation capabilities for our customers to process their data. Optimizing the data processing capabilities of the system requires delivering a reliable and secure system that can handle the complex set of requirements expected by our customers.
Who you are:
• Highly-motivated and thrive in an environment where problems are open-ended.
• Enjoy engaging in passionate discussions with smart people and letting the best ideas rise to the top.
• Have built applications using Java based stacks such as Spring and Hibernate
• Strong understanding of CS fundamentals, Object Oriented Design and Data Structures.
• Genuinely excited about technology
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 5 years of experience developing large scale backend software, services and tools
• Knowledge of relational database engines such as SQLServer, Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL
• Working knowledge/experience NoSQL databases
• Knowledge and experience working with networking, virtualization and Linux kernel modules are a plus
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience translating design mockups and prototypes into working application designs
• Familiarity with scripting languages such as Perl, PHP, Ruby, or Unix shell scripting
• Have developed or supported an operationally critical web service
• Motivated to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
• Demonstrated passion for user experience design and improving usability
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top