Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things.
AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second
The Code team owns the charter of building source code hosting services and code experience tools (code browse, review, search, etc.) for internal and external customers. We are looking for an engineer who is excited about back-end services to work on our internal enterprise-class source code storage system. This is a distributed, highly durable and available source code storage system used by thousands of developers across Amazon. You will be challenged to own a production-level service at a high level of quality while implementing innovative solutions to complex problems. You will integrate with products owned by related teams as well as be responsible for influencing the future of our code storage products.
The ideal candidate cares about making other developers' lives better, appreciates high quality development tools, and thrives in an innovative startup environment. They love the creative process and take pride in building cool platforms for developers. We own and build every aspect of our product, from the UI and external APIs down to the backend services and databases. We are looking for enthusiastic, creative, and collaborative developers who strive to improve the lives of their fellow developers, both internally and externally. Come join us and work on a foundational system that strives to enrich the development experience for every engineer who works with our tools.
If this sounds like a challenging and exciting role, please come join our strong technical team in a highly visible organization. As a member of our team, you will:
• Own the entire software lifecycle, from system design to implementation, release, operation, and iterative improvements.
• Interface closely with internal and external customers to quickly drive new products and features forward.
• Work with and learn many different technologies every day including key AWS Services, Java, Ruby, and the latest development practices.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 4+ years relevant work experience
• 8+ year experience with one modern programming language such as Java, Ruby, C++, or Perl
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• First-hand working knowledge of webservice design and development best practices
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, and the ability to clearly describe software product features and technical designs
• Experience with and a fundamental understanding of one or more source control systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top