Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Use your deep technical skills and experience to make Amazon a better place to work and delight our customers by joining Amazon Connections.
Amazon Connections is an innovative program that gives Amazonians globally an effective way to provide feedback on the workplace and help shape the future of the company. Connections asks employees quick questions every day and uses that realtime information to learn from their experiences, introduce targeted content to teams around the world, and measure specific outcomes. Our goal is to strengthen Amazon's workplace culture and help develop leaders who earn trust, remove barriers to excellence, and make Amazon an inspiring place to work.
As a Software Development Engineer in Connections you will have technical ownership of the development of new critical parts of this system. You will create technology that changes the face of organizational management. You'll join a talented and nimble team of engineers to create innovative ways to streamline delivery. Successful candidates will be strong SDEs who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
You will drive architectural and design choices, invent new features, develop distributed services, and build a scalable, service-oriented platform for our people. We have a team culture that encourages innovation and we expect developers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture, and project delivery.
In this role you will:
• Work with Technical leaders across the org to deliver large distributed projects to delight our customers
• Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in Java and other object-oriented languages
• Build highly available, secure, systems in a microservices architecture
• Collaborate with some of the best engineers in the industry
• Find out what it takes to engineer systems for "Amazon Scale"
• Own and operate the systems that you build
• Contribute to planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as a senior member of the team
• Get firsthand experience engineering client apps as well as AWS services such as Lambda, Glue, EC2, S3, DynamoDB and others
The Connections Software team combines the culture of a startup, the innovation and creativity of a R&D Lab, and technical challenges at the scale of Amazon.
We offer opportunities for builders to build and make history!
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• BS Computer Science/Computer Engineering
• 5+ years of professional development using modern service and web development technologies and techniques
• Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
• Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Obsession with quality, operational excellence, and customer experience
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment
• Experience and willingness to mentor more junior engineers and help them develop their skills and leadership abilities
• Experience designing, building and deploying scalable, highly-available systems
• Experience working across teams to deliver highly complex systems at every levelMS Computer Science/Computer Engineering.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Experience taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy.
• Experience with modern UX technology (e.g. React)
• Appetite and enthusiasm to work with new technologies
• Keen interest in staying current with the latest trends and techniques in the industry
• Strong UX skills and sound knowledge of UX best practices with the ability to incorporate them into solutions
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Back to top