Software Development Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
The Items and Offers platform (IOP) manages the global catalog at at the heart of the systems that support the world's largest e-Commerce platform. We serve as the gateway for the millions of merchants that offer the earth's largest selection of products to Amazon customers, at a rate of hundreds of billions of updates on billions of catalog items every single day.
The relationships between catalog items are a first class architectural concern at Amazon, which the Items and Offers Platform Relationships team in NYC have ownership of.
Come be a part of a foundational team in the Amazon ecommerce platform, and make changes with impact on both the selling and buying customer experience. Item relationships impact the way products are identified and presented for online shoppers so they can find what they want, when they want. We're providing solutions to problems that have no prior art, and on a scale that exceeds most companies on the planet - stretching the boundaries of SOA, distributed systems, big data, and stream processing technologies to tackle the challenges of catalog item relationships at Amazon scale.
Successful candidates are passionate about translating high-level, ambiguous business goals to software platforms that enable multiple businesses, with senior level distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience. You should be somebody who enjoys working on owning software services, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about building good software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality. You are comfortable taking initiative, and leading a team of top-notch software developers. You enjoy a unique blend of hard computer science problems and an opportunity to help the businesses meet their customer needs. These skills help us define the bleeding edge for elegant, super-scalable services at Amazon.com.
Every day we are working hard, having fun and making history - and we would love you to work with us. If you have what we are looking for, come join a strong team in a highly visible organization. Your impact on our software will be felt around the world.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Have experience in building highly concurrent distributed systems for online services at scale
• 5+ years of work experience in software development
• Have experience delivering projects End to End.
• Have knowledge of Object-Oriented Design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
• Have strong proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Have a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
. Be a strong leader with a desire to mentor and lead people
* Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top