Amazon Softlines Marketing is seeking a Software Development Engineer to join our team that is focused on building mission critical software used by Amazon customers. As a software engineer on the team, you will drive improvements to our technology, collaborating with sharp engineers and highly-engaged users to ship code continuously. We have many domains ranging from highly-scalable transactional backend systems, to complex optimization problems, to customer facing apps, so if you love building world-class software of any type, most likely we have a place for you. We're truly an agile shop: we work closely with users, deliver features with high frequency, can pivot on a dime when needed, and are passionate about test coverage, refactoring and paying off technical debt. We are looking for software development leaders who share our vision for continuously improving the customer experience, who are motivated by challenging problems in distributed systems, algorithms and who love writing great code.
As a software engineer on the team:
• You will solve a breadth of technical problems at global scale
• You will own systems end-to-end and influence the direction of technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world
• You will contribute to technical strategies, vision, and architecture
• You will influence quantitative algorithms used (e.g. machine learning, computer vision) to make recommendations
• You will design and build software to train models in collaboration with applied science
• You will work with user research and user experience design to build new customer experiences with appealing, intuitive, interactive, and responsive user interfaces
• You will be heavily involved with design and product teams to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting end consumer features
• Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews
• Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed
• Propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire team for development
• Mentor team members to promote engineering excellence
This opportunity is suited for highly motivated and talented software engineers who want to apply and grow their technical depth and breadth while defining and driving a new customer experience for Amazon Fashion. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, know how to deliver, are deeply technical, highly innovative and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you. This position is located in San Diego, California. Lots of sun, close to the beach, excellent schools, and a great group of people.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent knowledge and skills and industry experience.
• Mobile development experience
• 3+ years of commercial software development experience in Java and/or Objective C
• Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms (iOS and Android)
• Passion for building great mobile app experiences
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience developing high quality, large scale consumer applications
• Experience with Relational and No SQL Databases
• Experience with front-end development
• Experience with machine learning and feedback loops
• Experience driving operational improvements
• Experience working with cross-functional teams including communicating with other technical teams, product management, and senior management
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve code quality
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.