Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Does solving hard problem, like owning deliverability for Amazon's customer notifications, excites you?
The Outbound Communication Services (OCS) team owns foundational systems that power all of Amazon's customer-facing communication on Email, SMS, Push channels, and other emerging messaging applications.
Outbound Orchestration in OCS is looking for Software Development Engineer to work on system responsible for any direct communication to end customers for amazon and its subsidiaries. Direct communication can be sent through any medium such as email, push notification, sms, as well as other means like Line, WeChat, Amazon Assistant and include order specific notifications such as order confirmation, shipment tracking and delivery confirmation as well as marketing emails such as new product releases that the customer may benefit from, campaign such as view follow up emails, recommendations based on user's behavior and abandoned cart emails urging the user to complete the purchase.
Our mission is to ensure a previously selected message for a customer gets delivered timely and any customer feedback makes its way successfully and in near-real time. This in turn allows our customers to feel about a notification from amazon as they feel to see an amazon box on their doorstep.
We are passionate about building scalable, well-designed software which processes billions of transactions and very large TPS. We constantly improve our technical foundation and customer experience. As a Software Development Engineer on the team, you'll have huge impact on how customers, even friends and family, engage with Amazon.
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You are a technical leader for your team and a great mentor. You provide perspective and context for technology choices. You're up to the challenge of realtime notification strategies, latency, TPS, mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and building an end-to-end platform that internal Amazon teams integrate with. You motivate your team to pursue ambiguous situations and rapidly produce prototypes for a more personalized experience. You outline paths from prototype to product. You deeply invest in each colleague's career growth, improving their technical knowledge, and defining your team's operational metrics.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will participate in the full development cycle, end-to-end, the design, development, implementation, testing and produce comprehensive, usable software documentation of large-scale distributed software applications. Translate functional requirements into robust, scalable, supportable solutions that work well within the overall system architecture. Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools. Taking your ideas from inception to deployment, you will apply your software engineering expertise to shape, refine, and redefine our systems. You will come up with new data-driven ways to continuously improve our solutions and to empower business owners to use them.
Weekly team events give the teams the chance to unwind virtually via games, snacks, and drinks. During the winter we watch holiday-themed movies from around the world, during the summers we hold team pot-lucks. It is our goal to simultaneously work hard, have fun, and grow as individuals.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Sound understanding of basic areas in Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language - preferably in Java/C/C++ in a Linux environment.
• Must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
• 3+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Mindset and analytical skills to provide latency, TPS solutions. Continuous improvement and have an edge to always research on latest technologies
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• Passion for building great notification experiences which directly impacts our customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top