Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Route 53's Health Checks team is hiring!
Amazon Route 53 is a highly available and scalable Domain Name System (DNS) service offered by Amazon Web Services. Our team owns Route 53 Health Checks, a highly available endpoint monitoring service. Every few seconds, our service checks the health of millions of computers all around the world to help Route 53 DNS, Amazon Elastic Load Balancing, Amazon RDS, Amazon S3 and many other AWS services maintain high availability for their customers.
This is a highly technical back-end position working on our distributed health checking infrastructure and public API. Our service runs primarily on a Java and Linux-based stack with lots of interaction with different public AWS services and Amazon-internal tools. Each member of our team brings a different technical background to the table, but we all enjoy using our knowledge and insights to make things easier for our customers. We don't expect you to be an expert in, or necessarily even be familiar with, all of the languages and technologies we use, but we do expect you to be excited to learn about them!
Our team is responsible for operating as well as developing our service, and this position will involve on-call responsibilities. We rotate this responsibility between all our team members; in the past this has meant being available on nights and weekends about once every two months. We don't like getting paged, so we work to ensure that our systems are well built, well tested and fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
We are a good mix of new and experienced engineers, and enjoy helping each other grow through one-on-one mentoring and thorough but supportive code reviews. We care about your career growth and try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a more well-rounded engineer and take on more complex tasks in the future. Experimentation is encouraged, and we are always looking for new ideas to improve our internal processes and make the the service better for our customers.
Our team is family-oriented and values work-life balance. The team is based out of our Seattle office, but is currently operating 100% remote due to Covid-19. In-office, we are flexible when people occasionally need to work from home or leave the office during the day.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, and reliable; someone who will help us build on the positive team culture we've been cultivating.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience
• Experience implementing servers in a Linux environment
• Knowledge of basic Internet protocols and routing concepts.
Back to top