The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Security team is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer who has a strong passion for security-at-scale. You will work on a small team dedicated to building new tooling to improve AWS Security capabilities. This system constantly scans our massive web application environment for security concerns and engages the right team to fix them.
The AWS Proactive Security team is responsible for the security and availability of all of the services offered by AWS. This includes traditional cloud services such as EC2, S3, and Lambda, as well as other domains like IoT, AI, and custom processors. This is a high visibility team that addresses important security challenges in AWS. You will engage with other teams across AWS to help secure their products. As a member of a small team, you can create the culture you want to work in. You will have a voice in shaping the future direction of automatic security tools in AWS. You will collaborate with AWS security experts to ensure your system helps AWS maintain the security that our customers depend on.
While you may not be a security expert just yet, in this role you will develop a broad and deep understanding of the overall web security and how AWS keeps its sites secure.
• Architect, design and develop systems for detecting security issues in software
• Architect, design and develop systems for presenting security problems to engineers so they can be fixed
• Rapidly prototype and incubate new security features and solutions
• Work closely with other internal development teams across various AWS services to coordinate security improvements
• Deliver high quality solutions in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift
• Mentor junior developers on the team to improve their skills and make them more effective software engineers
• Directly represent the team to business leaders
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
**This role is open to alternative locations including: New York, NY Boston, MA Seattle, WA - Herndon, VA Arlington, VA Baltimore, MD San Luis Obispo, CA San Diego, CA
• BS degree in Computer Science or related field
• 7+ years of professional software development experience
• Prior experience leading a team to deliver complex products
• Experience developing web applications, ideally using a variety of frameworks
• Understanding of web application security issues like XSS, CSRF, and SSRF
• Experience building in AWS or similar cloud platforms
• Experience working with large scale network scanning systems
• Effective and tactful communication skills: you will be working with other AWS teams to improve their security
• Experience programming in Python
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.