Seeking experienced Software Engineers for role on a new cutting edge IoT Greengrass Team, located in Virginia (Herndon/Arlington), to develop mission critical innovative cloud/edge computing solutions and solve technical problems.
We are committed to building a powerful IoT solution for the tens of billions of devices that sit at the edge, in our homes and offices, in factories and oil and agricultural fields, in planes and ships, and automobiles everywhere. As the Internet of Things continues to grow and billions of devices get connected, compute is moving from the cloud to the edge as you harness the data generated by your IoT edge devices and enable them to act intelligently using machine learning and other analytics in a secure, high throughput, low latency environment with intermittent or no network connectivity. AWS IoT Greengrass seamlessly extends AWS to edge devices so they can act locally on the data they generate, while still using the cloud for management, analytics, and durable storage.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Architect, design, build and optimize software for cloud and edge that integrates with third party applications and services
• Develop software to communicate using industry standard network protocols.
• Collaborate with customers to design, tailor and propose efficient solutions to their technical use cases using our APIs and SDKs
• Program with Java, Go, and classical scripting languages and will be developing up to 80% of the time
• Are a group of technologists from diverse backgrounds
• Obsess over our customer's needs and experience
• Are owners. We love building new innovative technologies, and improving our existing ones
• Wear multiple hats. We enjoy the prototyping and tinkering stages, as well as the rigor of making solutions production-ready.
• Are fast-growing, agile and collaborative
• Are passionate about technology and seeing how it can shape the physical world around us
• Are comfortable in an agile environment and create order from ambiguity
• Are excited about IoT technologies and will enjoy seeing a direct impact of the work on real customer use cases
• Take ownership and do whatever it takes to get the job done
• Learn from others and help grow those in your team to achieve their best
• Possess strong backend and algorithm development experience
We are hiring for two Virginia locations: Herndon and Arlington.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or minimum 5 years of professional experience in a Software development role.
• Minimum 3 years experience object-oriented design, data structure and algorithm design
• Minimum 3 years working with least one modern programming language such as Java, Python, C++ or GO
• Able to work in a diverse team
• 6+ years of experience with public cloud infrastructure
• Proven track records in design and implementation of highly available and scalable distributed systems
• Comfortable of dealing with ambiguity
• Familiarity with cloud and web services technologies (esp. JSON, REST, XML, MQTT, pub/sub, etc.).
• Experience in building applications backed by native AWS services
• Knowledge of machine learning frameworks (e.g. MXNet, Tensorflows) is a plus
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.