Software Development Engineer
- Arlington, VA
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
At Amazon Web Services (AWS) we are inventing the future of cloud computing with a team of builders who try new things and dream big dreams. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure in-the-cloud that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. Ten years ago, we couldn't have imagined how far we would come. Now we're inventing for the next ten years and beyond. But it is still Day 1 for us, and we are looking for curious people to be part of our diverse teams of thinkers, testers, and builders.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for an innovative and passionate engineer to architect and build configurable, federated, and horizontally scalable distributed systems for AWS. We are building a full stack application and have opportunities to build both the back-end and front-end components hosted on AWS.
A qualified candidate for this role enjoys working with end users, developing workflows and web services, and solving business problems with extensible software solutions. If you are interested in being part of AWS and building services that allow AWS to reach its innovative and aggressive goals, then we look forward to connecting with you.
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing.
In this role, you will...
• Be heavily involved with design and product teams to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting experiences.
• Propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire services team for development.
• Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
• Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
• Mentor your team members to promote engineering excellence
• 3+ years of professional software development experience.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience developing large scale services on AWS such as Amazon DynamoDB, S3, API Gateway, IAM, Glacier, Redshift, Athena
• Experience leading high-impact, cross team architectural design decisions, and guide senior engineers by setting examples to deliver solutions to ambiguous problems.
• 2+ years of experience in building large scale, multi-tiered, distributed applications.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals like object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top