Software developer II
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to be part of the Alexa product and help making Alexa smarter? Are you passionate about helping other entrepreneurs at innovative corporations take new ideas to market? Do you believe that complex tasks can be achieved in an intuitive way?
Why should you join the Alexa team? Here are a few reasons:
• We ship software frequently, get fast feedback from real customers around the globe, and see the results of our work come to fruition.
• There are real-world problems to solve that you won't find ready-made answers for. For example, how do you process massive data in the least time possible. How can you improve Alexa to to answer more questions?
• We are a small, tightly-knit team that is defining the future of Alexa.
• We look for ways to make the our service configurable, maintainable and visible as easy, intuitive and time efficient as possible.
• Design & Write code: • Write code primarily in Scala and Java and design scalable, fault tolerant and distributed applications running on linux environments.
• Test, test, test: Our software engineers don't just write code, they also test the heck out of it. You will write unit tests, integration tests and regression tests and find ways to automate them.
• Troubleshoot and fix operational problems: You will work with systems engineers to troubleshoot operational problems and fix them. If you are so inclined, you will also automate troubleshooting procedures and write tools. And when the issues concern specific customers, you will also have the opportunity to talk to them and understand their space better.
• Influence product direction: You will propose your ideas for the future of the space to product management, and get to shape the roadmap.
• Hire and mentor others: You will get to interview people for the team, and to mentor other engineers
If this sounds great and you think you have the chops, we'd love to have you on board. Alexa is changing the world and specifically the human machine interaction. This is a great opportunity to be a part of this exciting business.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline.
• Minimum of 3+ years of experience in designing and building multithreaded and fault tolerant applications in Java or Scala.
• Experience in big data processing.
• Experience with Spark.
• Distributed systems, design and implementation experience.
• Passionate problem solver, self starter and willing to dive deep into unfamiliar and existing code base.
• Troubleshooting and debugging production issues.
• Writing automated unit, integration and regression tests.
• Scripting in either python, bash or ruby on linux.
• MS in Computer Science or related field/PhD
• Experience with Scala.
• Experience in cloud computing and specifically in AWS services
• Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
Back to top