Our team, AWS Systems Manager, is looking for a looking for a SDE who participated in building highly distributed systems aimed at providing safe operating capabilities for our customers. To be successful in this role, you should be passionate about being part of a truly innovative team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skill sets to deliver results. Driving results in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is expected of a SDE and is key to our long term success.
AWS Systems Manager is the operations hub for the AWS cloud. Many customers from startups to enterprises are running their entire infrastructure or parts of it in AWS. Operating this infrastructure in the cloud in a reliable way is critical to our customers and we are a core part of that story. Many IT administrators and DevOps engineers rely on Systems Manager to operate their infrastructure safely and securely at scale. Systems Manager provides a unified operational dashboard to view operational data from multiple AWS services, manage large fleet of instances, manage their distributed applications as a single unit and automate their operational tasks/runbooks and define safe operational workflows. More info on Systems Manager: https://aws.amazon.com/systems-manager/).
Our team values work-life balance. We value different lifestyles that people have e.g. daycare pickups, helping a partner who works weekends, caring for aging parents, going to the gym once a day - and we want to provide an inclusive environment for everyone. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have an on-call rotation where you'll participate once every 5-6 weeks. We work to reduce our on-call load by ensuring that our systems are fault tolerant, and resolve the root cause of an issue so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are focused on the growth and development of every member of the team, and that includes our Senior SDEs. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire Systems Manager organization and deliver initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams. This is a growth environment - we're hiring and scaling rapidly to meet the needs of our customers. You'll have the opportunity to grow your scope of influence naturally as we scale and we will have to hire and develop others along the way.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
• Are a group of technologists from diverse backgrounds
• Obsess over our customer's needs and experience
• Are owners. We love building new innovative technologies, and improving our existing ones
• Wear multiple hats. We enjoy the prototyping and tinkering stages, as well as the rigor of making solutions production-ready.
• Are innovative, agile and collaborative
• Enjoy seeing the impact your work has on your customers
• Are comfortable in an agile environment and create order from ambiguity
• Take ownership and do whatever it takes to get the job done
• Use data to make decisions and validate assumptions
• Learn from others and help grow those in your team to achieve their best
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience)
• 3+ years of software development experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C, C++, or C#, including object-oriented design
• Post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
• 3+ years of professional software development experience
• 1+ years of experience of DevOps (SRE experience), supporting development teams in a Linux/Unix environment in large-scale, 24x7 production Environments
• 1+ years of experience building large scale web services or distributed system software
• Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to take a project or significant feature from concept to launch
• Knowledge of Linux systems and operating system internals
• Experience with large scale systems
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Hear directly from employees about what it's like to work at Amazon.