What would you do if you had access to the world's largest product catalog with billions of products, offers, images, reviews, searches, and much more? Amazon's Catalog Systems division is looking for an exceptional engineering manager to lead, architect and deliver solutions that enhance quality of our massive product catalog utilizing cloud computing, big data analytics, machine learning algorithms and human intelligence. An information-rich and accurate product catalog is a critical strategic asset for Amazon. As part of the Item Identity group, you will be managing a team of engineers innovating to guarantee uniqueness and consistency of products in our catalog. This core functionality enables our customers to effectively search and discover products and fosters price competitiveness among our Selling Partners. This is a unique position that provides an opportunity to build data-driven systems at a scale rarely available anywhere else. As a leader of this team you will conceive and deliver software solutions that leverage data patterns to measure and improve the quality aspects of our product catalog and influence the way millions of our customers discover and buy our products worldwide. Collaborating with machine learning scientists, you will push the state-of-the-art to explore new opportunities and turn them into AWS-backed solutions managing billions of products. Here is a sample of some of the challenges you will be asked to solve for:
• Scalability: Design and think at scale. Amazon's product catalog has billions of records with a mind boggling variety of products and millions of customers in multiple countries. We build systems and design algorithms that are able to handle these large amounts of data and make sure the cloud usage scales sub-linear with the ever growing data size. Where traditional solutions fail we develop approximate, distributed, and streaming algorithms.
• Data analysis: We build data analytical workflows to dig into the huge amounts of data available at Amazon using data mining, machine learning, rule-based systems and statistics. We look for patterns, train multi-modal machine learning models and use them to build solutions that improve the catalog quality.
• Measure and Improve: We obsess on identifying new ways to measure the effectiveness of our solutions and ways to improve them. We identify areas of improvement in our frameworks, tools, processes and strive to make them better. We continually evaluate our success metrics and evolve our reporting systems.
• Systems: We leverage Amazon's cloud infrastructure to scale. We create production workflows and applications utilizing AWS technologies such as EMR, ECS, Fargate and SageMaker. Our systems must run reliably in the face of variations in the input data or local hardware failures in distributed systems.
• Develop the long-term strategy for your team and translate product vision into an achievable road map.
• Lead a nimble team of software engineers to architect, develop, test and deploy high quality software solutions with persistent customer focus within an Agile/Scrum environment.
• Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments.
• Manage departmental resources: hiring, mentoring, career management and maintaining a high performing team.
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
About you: You are a seasoned people manager who has led engineering teams and consistently delivered high quality software solutions with a strong customer and business focus on time. You thrive on tackling very hard problems. You have great problem-solving skills and have many years of hands-on software development skills. You are an excellent communicator, both verbal and written, and equally adept at communicating upwards and downwards. You are curious, love to dive deep and collect data to make well informed decisions, but use sound judgment in face of insufficient data. You keep abreast of the latest technology developments and drive your teams to innovate.
• Master's/Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related technical field.
• 12+ years of experience developing software.
• 4+ years of experience managing diverse and technically deep software development teams (Java, Python).
• 4+ years of experience working with science, Data Warehousing systems, Cloud Computing and AWS technologies.
• Results oriented person, ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences, including non-technical.
Advanced degree/PhD/Masters in Computer Science/related field
Familiarity with machine learning and data mining techniques
Experience in Statistics
Experience in User Interaction design especially on Mobile and Tablets
Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Strong business and technical vision
Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative team environment and effectively interact with technical and non-technical workers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.