Do you want to shape the future of virtualized (SDN) networking in the world's biggest public cloud?
The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) VPC Packet Pipeline team owns the packet pipeline that runs right beneath all our customer's EC2 VPC instances, adding features like firewalling (security groups), billing and monitoring as we touch every single packet on every single host across our massive worldwide fleet. Our vision is to combine the performance of bare metal networking while maintaining all the benefits of the cloud, including delivering features not possible on bare metal i.e. true Software Defined Networking (SDN).
We are growing fast, and are looking for a SW Engineer to help build our next generation of automation and big-data analytics services to help scale AWS VPC. In this role, you will be part of a team that builds scalable frameworks and highly available services to automate anomaly detection (e.g. crashes, network performance degradation), remediation strategies, data warehouse analytics, and data visualizations across a large organization. This will require a thorough understanding of AWS networking components, back-end software development using a variety of AWS services, full-stack web development, and familiarity with exciting computer science fields such as machine learning and real-time data processing of time series data. You will also have the opportunity to impact and influence a wide range of teams across EC2 by developing frameworks used in validation of end-customer workloads on both production and pre-production environments.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Being the lead engineer on a team, mentoring junior engineers, ensuring the right development practices are followed.
• Being very hands-on; working with an engineering team to manage the day-to-day development activities by leading architecture decisions, participating in design reviews, code reviews, and implementation.
• Maintaining current technical knowledge to support a rapidly changing technology stack, always being on the look out for new technologies and working with management and development teams in exploring new technologies.
• Communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
Inclusive Team Culture Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Work/Life Balance Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• 3+ years industry experience as a SW Engineer
• 1+ years experience in leading a team in terms of architecture, mentoring and promoting best software development practices
• Networking and Operating Systems fundamentals
• Software development experience utilizing Python, Java, Ruby, Go, Angular, React, Node.JS
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
• Linux operating system knowledge and development experience
• In-depth knowledge of networking protocols like TCP/IP
• Kernel or embedded development, particularly Linux kernel
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.