Recommending products to Amazon customers yes, that is the space that we work in. We blend a variety of disciplines (such as recommender systems, data mining, NLP, big data and ML) to turn an intractable problem into a hard problem. For example: just because someone bought a purple dress does not mean that purple is the right color for them for all seasons; neither does it mean that you should recommend purple accessories. Just when someone buys a sofa, which rug in Amazon's vast selection would it make most sense to pair with it? While there are other recommendation problems out there, none of them capture the scale of the problem, the rapidly changing inventory along with unique problems of fit, fabric and finish.
So how do we do it? We are a full stack team that own components all the way from dataset generation, high performance service oriented architecture to building great UIs that can surface recommendations in a pleasing and aesthetically appealing way. We work with engineers, scientists and product managers. As for techniques, we experiment with collaborative filtering, matrix factorization and a diverse set of supervised learning algorithms such as Neural Net and Learn to Rank. If you want to be on the cutting edge of personalization in ecommerce retail and reaching customers in a unique and valuable space, this is the team to be on! We have the mandate and ability to effect big changes, we just need the right person to begin.
As a software dev engineer, you will work with other dev teams, category owners, engineers, scientists and program managers. You will own and build infrastructure that accesses terabyte of data to produce and deliver datasets with low latency and high reliability. The goal is to assemble features and services quickly that can make a huge impact on the customer experience. What recommendations data could you use to make search more personalized? How can we use product similarity and sales data to augment and enrich our recommendations? How can we influence customers to drive long term value to Amazon?
We are looking for people who innovate, love solving hard problems, understand both technology and business, and have a great judgement skills. You will be able to build systems that will impact millions of customers and create multi-million dollar revenue opportunities, ship in just a couple of weeks and instantly measure the impact of what you have developed. And be able to go home and show your friends and family how you change the world!
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• BS in Computer Science or greater
• Strong CS fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
• 4+ years software development experience
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java, Python, or Scala
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Experience with build and deployment tools
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or a related field
• Expertise in commercial recommendation systems and/or machine learning
• Experience with distributed computing and highly scalable systems, including tools such as EMR/Hadoop
• Delivered features for at least one large scale production system
• Experience with building complex, highly scalable software systems that integrate with predictive models or machine learning applications
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us