Software Dev Engineer - AWS Kinesis (Palo Alto, CA)
Amazon Kinesis Firehose is a new fully managed service to load streaming data into AWS. It can capture and automatically load streaming data into Amazon S3 and Amazon Redshift, enabling near real-time analytics with existing business intelligence tools and dashboards you're already using today. It is a fully managed service that automatically scales to match the throughput of your data and requires no ongoing administration. It can also batch, compress, and encrypt the data before loading it, minimizing the amount of storage used at the destination and increasing security.
We are hiring engineers for the Kinesis Firehose Team. The team owns all aspects of the Firehose service, including requirements, architecture, design & development, quality assurance, deployment and operations. As an engineer in this team, you will learn the ins and outs of building a highly available, scalable, distributed and secure system that uses all the modern cloud computing paradigms, techniques and tools.
To apply for the role, you should possess strong analytical, design, and problem diagnosis skills. You like thinking "outside the box", are not afraid of ambiguity, get excited about difficult challenges, and are a motivated self-starter. You are a strong team player and thrive in a startup-like environment where flexibility is essential and delivering rock solid, customer focused solutions is paramount.
Why would you want to work for the Amazon Kinesis team?
- Impact: streaming data processing is the next wave of `Big Data Analytics' and is one of the hottest areas of computer science. You will work on core technology that will be used by some of the most innovative companies in this space.
- Technology: Amazon Kinesis Firehose leverages cutting edge computer science and world-class engineering and is built on top of Amazon's revolutionary cloud platform. You will have the opportunity to get involved with and contribute at one of the frontiers of computer science.
- Wear many hats: You will have deep ownership of many different aspects of the service, such as product direction, technical design and implementation, and operations.
- Learning: Work alongside some of Amazon's most senior engineers and learn how to build and maintain a massively scalable and reliable service.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years professional software development expertise.
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, data structures.
- Strong problem solving abilities and object-oriented design skills.
- Deep experience with at least one modern programming language such as Java, C++ or C#.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
- 6+ years professional software development expertise.
- Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services.
- Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
- Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
- Working knowledge of Hadoop, MapReduce, Storm, Spark or other Big Data processing platform.
- Experience with at least one modern scripting language such as Ruby, Python or PHP.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science.
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top