Amazon S3 Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost cloud storage service for data archiving and long-term backup. It is designed to deliver 99.999999999% durability, and provides comprehensive security capabilities. Customers use Glacier to store data long term, while having the flexibility of retrieving their data within a few minutes (using expedited retrieval speed) or few hours (using standard or bulk retrieval speeds.) Conventional storage systems are a poor fit for this domain as they are typically optimized for speed rather than space and cost. Glacier's unique constraints lead to to fascinating scaling and algorithmic problems that have never been tacked at our scale. To meet our cost goals, we have a constant need to drive fundamentally new storage technologies in the industry and come up with innovative ways to further optimize costs. We are now working on the next set of major hardware and software enhancements to the service and are seeking a Software Development Engineer to join our rapidly growing team.
As a developer on our team, you'll have the opportunity to lead the design and implementation of a distributed storage service that operates at extreme scale. Your design and development work would range from distributed system service development in Java, to low level systems coding that interfaces directly with hardware. You'll operate on the bleeding edge of innovations in the storage field, and will need to solve challenging fundamental computer science problems.
We are looking for a seasoned engineer who is keen to lead, invent in this space, and build what could easily become the largest data storage service on the planet.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
In AWS, if you build it, you own it. Amazon S3 Glacier is a highly available 7x24 worldwide service requiring dedicated support from our engineering teams. We pride ourselves on a high level of ownership in the work we do. This means we hold a high bar for test automation, verification processes, design and code reviews to ensure that our systems meet the exacting standards our customers demand. We maintain a regular on-call rotation across our teams with engineers and managers all taking part to resolve the inevitable issues that arise. We work hard to minimize getting paged in the middle of the night as we recognize that a well-rested employee is a productive employee.
Upon joining Amazon S3 Glacier, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 2 years professional experience in software development
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Python or equivalent
• Strong fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Graduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field a plus.
• Passion for building highly scalable systems in a fast paced, team-oriented environment.
• Experience leading and delivering complex software systems.
• Knowledge of best practices for the full software development life cycle.
• Experience taking projects from scoping requirements through launch of the project.
• Sharp analytical abilities, design skills, and communication skills.
• Understanding of fault tolerant infrastructure software or distributed systems
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation