Are you excited by solving some of the hardest and most valued technical challenges of cloud computing? Are you interested in graph databases? Come join us in Amazon Neptune and help us innovate with graph databases in the AWS cloud!
We are an internally-focused team making deep changes to control plane components, tooling and processes within Amazon Neptune, a fast, scalable, fully-managed graph database service that makes it easy to build and run applications that work with highly connected datasets. The core of Amazon Neptune is a purpose-built, high-performance graph database engine optimized for storing hundreds of billions of relationships and querying with milliseconds latency, allowing you to easily build queries that efficiently navigate highly connected datasets.
We're looking for seasoned, talented software engineers to help us scale our service. We provide enterprise features and minimize the effort required to maintain a graph database by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling, setting up replicas for load-spreading and disaster recovery, and high availability / redundancy, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses. For more information about Neptune, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/neptune.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to step up from being just a coder you're comfortable in the open-source and Linux worlds, can proficiently write code in more than a couple of languages and are picking up new ones as needed. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen code fail (and fixed) in production in spectacular ways and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
Who are you? You're the new Software Development Engineer joining us at Amazon Neptune. We work hard, have fun and make history let's go play.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Candidates must have a Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language, preferably in C/C++/Java in a Linux environment.
• You understand networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same
• Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement
• Passion for automation and providing a great customer experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.