Senior/Lead Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
This role is for Senior/Lead/Architect level Software Engineers only. If you are an intern, recent grad, or entry level individual please use: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/business_categories/student-programs
Are you interested in helping Amazon make history and redefine the meaning of 'fast' in eCommerce? We are the Same Day Delivery Experience team and are in the early innings of reinventing the Amazon shopping experience to make Amazon the first place customers think to shop when they need something today, wherever they are in the world. We provide those customers with innovative ways to get what they want and need, enabling the choices they make on every order, every day.
This is SUPER high-visibility work: Our mission is to provide consistent, accurate, and relevant delivery information to every single page on every Amazon-owned site.
• MILLIONS of customers will be impacted by your contributions: The changes we make directly impact the customer experience on every Amazon site. This is a great position for someone who likes backend and Service Oriented Architecture, but wants to see and measure their direct impact on customers.
• We are a cross-functional team that owns the ENTIRE delivery experience for customers: From the business requirements to the technical systems that allow us to directly affect the on-site experience from a central service, business and technical team members are integrated so everyone is involved through the entire process.
As an Engineer for Delivery Experience, you will be responsible for services and features that improve the discoverability of delivery options for all customers, and utilize our current delivery experience architecture.
• To succeed, the skill to build highly scalable, fault-tolerant systems that can withstand millions of operations per day will not be enough. You will be responsible for projects that require enhancements to multiple systems, including many outside your team's ownership.
• You'll need a proven ability to architect elegant solutions to new challenges spanning multiple systems, and to effectively share your technical vision with others.
• You will be working with multiple teams across the company in many different areas, so collaboration skills are a must.
• Ensure we have a compelling and friction-free 'delivery in hours' experience available to our customers, and help drive continuous innovation and improvement of the delivery experience across all phases of shopping, buying, and post purchase experience.
A successful engineer in this role is:
• You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and methods which support rational decision-making.
• You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries.
• You help grow your team members to achieve excellent results. You foster the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
• You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Major in Computer Science, Engineering or related area. Bachelor's degree or above.
• 6+ years' experience with at least one language (ex. Java, C++, Python).
• 6+ years of strong OO design or functional design with understanding of common design patterns.
• 6+ years translating business requirements into operational systems.
• 6+ years of system design, larger than component/feature level
• Ability to propose creative and elegant solutions to complex technical problems.
• Commitment to operational excellence: building low-defect systems that are user-friendly with low operational burden.
• Willingness to own all stages of development process: design, testing, implementation, operational support.
• Willingness to work in an agile team development environment, have basic knowledge of agile design process, experience developing software in an agile environment is highly preferred.
• Experience building large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems is preferred.
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong influence in the team technical discussion and build team technical vision.
• Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Customer obsessed with the ability to deal with ambiguity.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top