Senior UX Researcher
- Westlake Village, CA
Amazon Physical Stores is more start-up than big-company, a group of entrepreneurial, analytical, and creative leaders with innovation at our core. We're pushing the state of the art in helping customers shop in engaging, fast, and safe ways. We tackle this from multiple perspectives: customer-facing digital experiences, store fixtures, associate tools, operation support and insights, and more. To date we've created stores that let you use an app to enter, take what you want from our fresh selection, and go (Amazon Go); a smart shopping cart that uses computer vision algorithms and sensor fusion to let you skip the checkout line (Amazon Dash Cart); and contactless services that let you pay, enter or identify yourself (Amazon One). We're looking for a Sr. UX Researcher to help shape what's next.
As a Sr. UX Researcher for Amazon Physical Stores, you will own the development of research and insights that drive the way our organization understands and designs for our customers and user groups. You will have expertise in qualitative research methods and comfort with quantitative methods (when to use them, working with teammates on them, managing vendors, etc.). UX Research in this space spans customer facing digital experiences, corporate applications, and associate tools, as well as physical hardware and software-hardware integration.
• Inform and execute against UX research roadmaps for a core product and experience, addressing aspects of software, hardware and physical space.
• Apply complex research methods appropriate to the questions at hand, from generative to evaluative, adapting methods as needed to align organization and product needs.
• Successfully navigate complexity in research including risks, roadblocks, constraints, accessibility, compliance requirements, technology limitations and resources and manage multiple, competing priorities.
• Provide thought leadership to partners and decision makers at all levels of the organization, effectively communicating durable insights through writing, presentations and conversations to build consensus and persuade action based on findings.
• Help shape and inform our customer experience quality program, ensuring research activities are planned and executed with outcome-driven design in mind.
• Work closely with design, product management, and cross-function teams to develop innovative end-to-end solutions that address top outcomes. Iteratively evaluate these solutions until outcomes are achieved or hypotheses are proven wrong, informing and aligning on any trade-offs.
• Create customer experience tools and frameworks (archetypes, journey maps, knowledge management, etc.).
• Collaborate with other researchers across Amazon to raise the bar for research and align on best practices.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully deliver against role responsibilities, working with minimal guidance and direction in a fast-pace environment.
• Strong portfolio of past work experience and deliverables: demonstrating impact, including generative and evaluative research, and showing track record of managing and executing large research efforts from start to finish.
• 7+ years proven success leading user research projects with demonstrated impact.
• 5+ years of experience with the full range of research methods (qualitative and quantitative, behavioral and attitudinal, with deep expertise in one or more areas) and activities (study design, test creation, moderation, analysis, reporting, etc.).
• Experience conducting and incorporating research for physical environments, omnichannel experiences and service design programs, including aspects of human factors.
• Experience conducting and applying research in a global context.
• Experience conducting remote research, using tools such as usertesting.com and dScout.
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and flexibility.
• Nimble, creative and pragmatic approach that aligns with agile research practices and brings qualitative and quantitative insights together.
• Passion for working in environments where navigating ambiguity is the norm.
• Exceptional interpersonal, motivational and communication skills to build trust across teams.
• Experience mentoring and guiding others.
• BA/BS or equivalent degree in psychology, cognitive science, human factors, HCI, HCD, etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
Back to top