Senior Technical Program Manager - S3
- Seattle, WA
Come join Amazon S3, the industry's first and largest cloud storage provider. Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in sub-x ms, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, achieving 99.999999999% (you didn't read that wrong, that's 11 nines!) durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working in Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home. As a Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) in S3, you get to deliver these capabilities and delight our customers through teams of talented engineers and leaders.
We're seeking a TPM to help us drive agility and cost improvements across S3 while expanding into new regions. This TPM role reports into the S3 Agility, Compute, and Customer Experience organization supporting our efforts to grow S3 at an incredibly fast pace. Customer usage of S3 continues to grow exponentially, and we are constantly expanding our global footprint with new AWS regions. S3 is available in over 24 geographic regions around the world and has announced plans for 4 more. You will interface daily with program managers, engineers, managers, and senior leadership. You will help us innovate how to accelerate delivering new features and building new regions through automation. You will be a key change agent to improve agility throughout the organization.
The individual will:
• Lead our effort to deliver future region build work.
• Provide technical leadership and contributions to improve S3 delivery of new programs.
• Determine and drive engineering best practices across all of S3.
• Identify, track and resolve technical issues impacting multiple simultaneous projects.
• Present well-reasoned and data-driven solution proposals in both verbal and written form to gain support, prioritize your recommendations on the roadmaps, and deliver results.
• Communicate clearly and concisely with executives, customers, business and technology teams.
• Work closely with Managers and Developers to deliver results, frugally and effectively.
• Work closely with other AWS teams tracking dependencies and deliverables, and launching and coordinating new initiatives to improve our agility and time-to-market.
As the right candidate, you will possess a strong program management background, have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives. The S3 TPM on-call rotation does not typically require work outside of business hours, and business travel is rarely required.
Upon joining S3, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Excellent collaboration and leadership skills
• 5+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
• Agile development experience
• Software Development Life Cycle experience
• Experience with business applications such as Word, Excel and Project
• Experience with cloud services
• Experience managing efforts in Unix/Linux environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
• A first-hand working knowledge of current web technologies
• Scripting for data analysis
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top