Senior Technical Program Manager - Product Classification & Detection
- Seattle, WA
The Amazon Browse Classification team is seeking an experienced Sr. Technical Program Manager for leading programs in Product Classification. The problem space consists on developing systems capable of classifying all products and entities into the Amazon Catalog at high precision, scaling across marketplaces and languages. The Browse Taxonomy determines how products are organized in the Amazon Catalog, including all the stores, destinations, filters and refinements that are used when customers browse and search for products. The scope of role for the Sr. TPM is to define strategy and drive execution of programs spanning: automatic product classification, detection of mis-classified items, scaling human tasks through active learning, building applications for analyzing product composition, mining product signals such as images, text and unstructured data to drive true understanding of product knowledge. You will collaborate closely with a team of managers, developers, Taxonomists and Applied Scientists to deliver solutions into production. Your programs are directly related to Amazon's Browse experience and impact millions of customers.
The ideal candidate has led programs productionizing ML-based systems in one or several of the following fields: Web search, Deep Neural Networks, Classification Systems, Clustering, Label Propagation, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence.
A successful candidate will have an established background in managing programs, scaling systems with large data sets, and delivering results in a fast-paced environment. You will have a strong development background with experience in software development cycle, and in delivering large cross-functional programs. You must be comfortable dealing with high ambiguity, be analytical and possess excellent problem-solving skills as some of the problems are unique to our scale.
As a Sr. TPM in this role you will establish partnerships with other organizations such as Retail/Category businesses, Operations, Search (A9), to prioritize and translate the business requirements into technical specifications. You will have end to end ownership - from defining the strategy, working with engineering to build the solution, and measuring metrics to monitoring progress across the entire Amazon eCommerce pipeline. You will provide direct visibility to senior leadership on all aspects of your programs on a regular cadence.
In this team, you will:
• Manage business and technical requirements, design, be responsible for the overall coordination, quality, productivity and will be the primary point of contact for world-wide stakeholders of programs and goals that you lead.
• Partner with scientists, economists, and engineers to help deliver scalable ML scaled models, while building mechanisms to help our customers gain and apply insights, and build road maps for the projects you own.
• Track service levels and schedule adherence, and ensure the individual stakeholder teams meet and exceed their performance targets.
• Be expected to discover, define, and apply scientific, engineering, and business best practices.
• Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
• 6+ years of relevant technical program management experience.
• Strong understanding of software development process, project management, troubleshooting/resolution, and risk mitigation skills.
• Understanding of drivers of performance, scale, and software operational excellence.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to face external and internal customers in a professional and mature manner.
• An approach that starts from the end customer and then work backwards from there, ability to think strategically while staying on top of tactical execution
• 10+ years of relevant program management experience.
• PhD in Computer Science or related discipline
• MBA with prior engineering leadership experience building products from scratch and leading complex programs
• Have had hands-on experience in Software Design and Development experience building large scale distributed systems.
• Superior analytical and quantitative skills; experience using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions, shipping software quickly and measure success
• Experience working on ML-related fields like Deep Learning, NLP, Classification, Clustering, experience with Data extraction and ML training systems.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top