Senior Technical Program Manager - Privacy
- Sunnyvale, CA
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo and, more recently, Ring devices. What will you help us create?
Do you care deeply about privacy? Do you believe customers should have control over their personal information? Do you want to help build systems that respect the customer and enable responsible use of personal data at scale? Do you want to make privacy experiences more usable so customers can make good choices and avoid silly mistakes that can harm them? Do you worry anonymized data could be relinked to a customer? Do you want to help define the principles and best practices for how to perform facial recognition, machine learning, and AI while protecting privacy?
If you are customer-obsessed and love privacy, we have a job for you! Amazon's Digital Privacy team is growing and looking for a seasoned Senior Technical Program Manager.
The Privacy team's goal is to enable business growth and drive innovation while honoring data policies and controls that help protect customer privacy. You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting-edge products and services. You will help lead key initiatives across the device and services organization. You will help teams design their systems and customer experiences in a manner that upholds our high bar for customer trust. You will partner and work across disciplines including engineering, marketing, legal and business.
Your focus is to help the organizations develop the principles, processes, tools, technologies, and infrastructure to ensure we protect the privacy of our customers and deepen the trust they have for Amazon. This includes finding new ways to streamline and scale these efforts across the suite of Amazon consumer devices (Ring, Echo, Kindle, Fire Tablet, FireTV, etc.) as well as key services that supports them.
As a Senior Technical Program Manager in Privacy, you will help build privacy programs and processes, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance customer and business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, and then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected.
Note: While the majority of our /Privacy roles are based in the Bay Area, CA and Seattle, WA areas, by applying to this position your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States, including but not limited to: Seattle, WA; Bellevue, WA; Sunnyvale, CA, Austin TX.
• Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering or relevant technology field
• 7+ years of experience in technical program/project management
• Has followed best practices that span the software development life cycle (from requirements definition through specification, design, coding, quality assurance, implementation, integration, launch, and production support).
• Has worked on three or more privacy related projects such as privacy by design, privacy enhancing technologies, data policy management, privacy infrastructure, privacy usability, and/or privacy threat modelling.
• Has had to meet world-wide regulatory requirements for privacy and mitigate privacy risks.
• Has communicated complex issues and concepts verbally and in writing to a wide range of audiences from technical developers to non-technical executives.
• Has collaborated, formed partnerships, and driven commitments across the enterprise to deliver privacy solutions.
• Earned the respect of your peers, managers, and partners for your ability to grasp difficult technical challenges and invent practical, sustainable solutions.
• Work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
• Has worked successfully in a very fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
• Used data and metrics to drive the right outcome.
• Addressed issues related to customer privacy and information security.
• Developed, implemented, and enforced policies applicable to entire organizations
• Managed efforts in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
• Has been certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (e.g., holds a CIPM, CIPP/US, and/or CIPP/E)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//
Back to top