Are you passionate about contributing to open source? Are you excited at the prospect of keeping millions of customers' data safe? Do you want to help secure web services by implementing cryptography at scale? Security is the #1 concern of customers moving to the cloud and the AWS Cryptography team is dedicated to providing the security features our customers need. We enable customers to confidently move sensitive workloads to the cloud where they can benefit from strong security controls that help meet internal and external compliance requirements. AWS Key Management Service and AWS CloudHSM provide encryption and key management services, while AWS Certificate Manager handles the complexity of provisioning, deploying, and managing certificates.
The AWS Crypto Tools team helps AWS customers protect their sensitive data inside and outside of the cloud by building and maintaining easy to use, secure, open source encryption tools and libraries.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Program Manager (TPM) with an interest in practical cryptography to join us in building the most secure and user-friendly tools available to help our customers protect their data and accelerate use of cryptography in all AWS services.
You should have experience designing scalable, customer-centric systems and a passion for delivering secure software solutions. In partnership with senior leaders, principal engineers, and security specialists, you will own delivering and supporting cryptographic tools and libraries used by internal and external customers around the world.
In this role, you will own global, company-wide initiatives that demonstrably improve the security posture of all Amazon and AWS services. In partnership with service teams, you will design and deliver optimal KMS integrations and identify and build tools to make encryption simpler, while at the same time improving performance, availability, and security. Additionally, you will work with external customers to deeply understand their cryptographic needs and design tooling to make encryption easier to get right and harder to get wrong.
As a key member of a foundational team, you have the unique opportunity to influence and shape the strategy for the next generation of our security platforms and tools. You will have end-to-end technical responsibility for one or more components - from defining the product roadmap to initiating, defining and executing the projects necessary to make the roadmap a reality. This is a highly visible role offering the opportunity to interact at all levels of the organization and the company. This role is ideal for you if you have a passion for building massively scalable digital security systems and want to make a significant impact on this fast-growing, cutting-edge, business.
• Work with AWS product managers and customers to understand business requirements behind feature requests
• Translate requirements into technical/functional specifications
• Recommend alternative technical approaches
• Lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines
• Balance business needs with technical constraints
• Work with AWS engineering managers to coordinate technical development effort
• Track and drive projects
• Identify and quantify risk and anticipate bottlenecks
• Provide escalation management and make tradeoffs
• Identify interdependencies between concurrent projects to prevent downstream problems
• Understand requirements from external auditors and guide AWS engineering towards implementing functionality that will help our customers meet their compliance obligations
• Evangelize within and outside Amazon to encourage a fast and smooth adoption of the services
• Gather requirements for future enhancements
• Develop demos, sample and technical collateral, as required
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
• A thorough understanding of software processes (development, configuration, testing, and deployment)
• A basic understanding of encryption and cryptographic concepts
• 7+ years experience leading large, cross-functional technical projects
• 4+ years experience working on a software development team (as a developer, dev manager, QA engineer, or TPM) managing projects and writing technical specifications
• Post graduate degree in a Computer Science field
• Proven experience in managing large scale enterprise projects and writing public technical specifications
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, leadership skills essential to successful program/project management
• Knowledge and experience applying cryptographic concepts to Internet security products or services
• Solid foundation in service-oriented and web-service technologies to be able to understand service interdependencies and drive towards technical solutions for multi-tiered systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.