Do you want to work on a service that can:
• Access petabytes of data in single-digit milliseconds?
• Replicate tables across continents?
• Stream gigabytes of data updates continuously?
• Back up hundreds of terabytes of customer data in seconds?
• Encrypt petabytes of data with no performance degradation?
Amazon DynamoDB is a fully managed, serverless, NoSQL database that does all this and more! It provides fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability. DynamoDB receives tens of millions of read and write requests per second to databases that are hundreds of terabytes in size. DynamoDB is one of the largest distributed database systems in the world, and we continue to believe it is Day 1 for the DynamoDB business.
As a senior technical program manager for the DynamoDB Region build planning and operational programs, you will play a critical role in continually improving customers' experience with the service.
The DynamoDB team is looking for a customer-obsessed, team-driven senior technical program manager to own Region build coordination and running operational campaigns. Ensuring customers always have the capacity they need is just the start. At our size, we must provide capacity efficiently: keeping our cost profile low allows us to offer attractive price points, and improving the cost profile over time can create opportunities to reduce prices for customers.
How can you tell if you're the right fit for this role? For one, you live for metrics, benchmarking, and planning. You're always on the hunt to deliver results in any given system, and looking to solve complex problems. You lead cross-functional teams of engineers, analysts, and program managers to achieve organizational goals. You encourage others to tackle hard problems. You also hunger to give customers what they want: fast and predictable database performance at any scale.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with service teams, infrastructure, and business development to design and deliver new AWS Regions. You will collaborate with product teams to design solutions that make efficient use of resources and technologies. You also will work with all stakeholders to develop schedules that ensure timely launches of new Regions. You will assess risks, anticipate issues, overcome technical obstacles, make difficult trade-off decisions, and balance business needs and technical constraints.
In this role, you will interact with teams and leaders across Amazon. You will affect AWS growth directly and deliver major new capabilities for our customers. You will own and be responsible for defining and executing processes that deliver both savings and productivity for Amazon DynamoDB.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Seven or more years of experience in technical leadership roles: technical program management, systems architecture, or system development
• Five or more years of experience with the software development lifecycle from conception to delivery
• Five or more years of project management experience and a demonstrated knowledge of program management best practices
• A Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience
• Comfort and experience with cross-organizational communication.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proven experience in prioritizing and managing large-scale enterprise projects using project management tools.
• Demonstrated experience driving overall strategy and teams across organizations.
• A solid foundation in service-oriented and web-service technologies so that you can understand service interdependencies and drive toward technical solutions for multi-tiered systems
• The ability to independently identify downstream programmatic and technical risks and opportunities (such as system incompatibility and resource unavailability) and escalate them to the appropriate technical resource before they begin to threaten projects
• Hands-on experience in an engineering role such as software developer, network engineer, or systems engineer
• Meet or exceed Amazon's functional and technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, see https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.