Senior Technical Program Manager
- Seattle, WA
The International Seller Growth Team's mission is to set our worldwide Sellers up for success across our global Marketplaces. We deliver needle-moving initiatives which provide a seamless experience to Amazon Sellers at each step of the Seller journey. We enable Sellers across the world to list millions of products at scale across multiple categories and dozens of languages in our global Marketplaces. This includes automatically mapping Seller product information to the Amazon namespace and automating complex decision making (like Product Classification in our Catalog) on the Seller's behalf. We provide Sellers with strategic selling recommendations based on hybrid demand signals (like high-value products they should start selling in additional Marketplaces). We partner with Amazon Business to build best-in-class solutions that allow B2B Sellers to reach a wide customer base and drive billions of dollars in revenue. We continuously improve the state of the existing catalog created by Amazon Sellers through smart solutions that automatically identify and fix defects using self-learning heuristics leveraging textual and image-based signals. And more...
Selling on Amazon is one of the fastest growing businesses at Amazon with more than half of all items currently sold originating from 3rd party Sellers. In this team you'll be using cutting edge technologies to build highly distributed systems for our Sellers around the world. You'll learn and use the latest technology frameworks such as AWS and Machine Learning. You will join a highly technical and entrepreneurial culture defining and building a selling experience to complement Amazon's world-class e-commerce buying experience. As we take bold bets on challenging problems, you will have autonomy to deliver projects from inception to deployment and beyond.
In this role you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects end-to-end. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between teams internal to ISG and other partner teams outside of ISG to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market. You will also clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams. The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 5+ years of technical program management experience
In this role, you must be able to:
• Interact with Project Sponsors, Project Stakeholders and multiple business and technical teams to define and deliver complex features
• Anticipate bottlenecks and risks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints
• Plan and manage multiple parallel projects
• Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
• Create, maintain and disseminate project information to stakeholders. Communicate project issues and status in a concise, accurate, and professional manner
• Apply best practices to the software development life-cycle for projects based on experiences with a number of agile and blended approaches, as well effectively coordinating the implementations across teams using very different approaches
• Remain flexible to changing priorities, open to new ideas and have Amazon's success firmly in your focus
• Possess quantitative analytical abilities & proven problem solving skills
• Develope long-term strategies for products and translating them into an achievable roadmap
• Execute in fast-paced environments and performance driven culture
• A solid CS foundation including at least 3+ years of experience in a software engineering role, and good knowledge of OOAD, scalability issues and multi-tiered solutions.
• Seasoned program manager with 3+ years of experience managing technology projects (software development and application infrastructure) with aggressive schedules.
• A minimum of a Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in managing business and technical partnerships.
• Strong familiarity with Agile methodologies.
• Maniacal Customer Obsession
Back to top