Amazon Alexa is seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager to organize and drive initiatives on the leading edge of Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Information Retrieval (IR), and Speech.
In this role, you will manage the lifecycle of a complex cross-functional program which entails anticipating bottlenecks, providing escalation management, making tradeoffs, and balancing customer and business needs with technical constraints. As a technology program owner, you will be accountable for both strategy development and implementation. Working collaboratively with scientists and developers, you will design and implement new products and features within Alexa as well as automated, scalable NLP/ML/IR models for accessing and presenting information. You will be key to providing long-term perspective and context (past, current, and future) for business and technology choices. A successful candidate will have an innate ability to take large, multifaceted projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then successfully deliver them in a timely manner. This exciting opportunity will impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of a cutting-edge product that will be used every day by people you know.
If you are an entrepreneurial, data-driven, innovative, and influential individual who thrives on solving complex ambiguous problems and building innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working within a smart and passionate team, this might be the role for you.
In This Role, You Will
• Define the mission, vision, and tenets of your team, setting objectives, analyzing data, driving improvements to metrics, and influencing resource allocation all with limited oversight;
• Drive scalable solutions from the business to prototyping, production testing, and engineering all the way through to production;
• Create plans that have clear, measurable success criteria, and clearly communicate progress and outcomes;
• Relentlessly simplify and demonstrate significant innovation, creativity, and good judgment when solving challenging problems;
• Drive best practices on the team, deal with ambiguity and competing objectives, and proactively identify and mitigate risks before they become roadblocks;
• Write effective narratives and present them concisely and effectively to Directors and VPs;
• Help teams reduce exposure to classic failure modes (e.g., requirements not sufficiently understood/documented, ineffective cross-team collaboration, long-term impact(s) from of the use of third-party technologies, APIs not protected/hardened, insufficient testing/gaps in QA)
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 5+ years of technical program management experience
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related technical field
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility trade-offs
• Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities
• Ability to prototype and evaluate applications and interaction methodologies
• Ability to produce code that is fault-tolerant, efficient, and maintainable
• Academic and/or industry experience with standard AI and ML techniques, NLU and scientific thinking
• Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
• Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly
• Written and verbal technical communication skills with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.