Senior Techical Design Leader, Softlines Private Brands
Amazon is looking for a well- rounded, analytical and highly motivated leader to oversee the Technical Design Organization for all of Softlines Private Brands. This role will ensure Amazon fashion products delight our customers in terms of product quality and fit. They will be part of a leadership team of industry experts who will work with designers, merchandisers, and sourcing managers to ensure we build best in class products.
The ideal candidate is a natural leader that understands the marriage of art and science. A self-starter with a passion for delivering high quality products to customers. This candidate will possess leadership skills, project management skills, a high degree of ownership and integrity, a high attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and have great stamina. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to develop a technician's aesthetic eye. This implies a maniacal focus on consistency in technical fit plus attention to aesthetic fit across all products and sizes. Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining corporate standards as we scale our business. The ideal candidate will have experience operating at all levels: from building teams to running fit sessions with a top tier brand or vertical fashion retailer.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Lead new initiatives for all aspects of technical design across all of Softlines Private Brands. Implement and launch new fit strategies by delivering processes and launching new technology for product development and sourcing teams globally
- Create systems that simplify and builds consensus on fit and execution. Consistently finds new ways to connect Amazon seamlessly to it's core partners to shorten development lead times.
- Help drive and influence the creative process for the design organization from idea through execution across multiple categories.
- Build an end to end process including key time and action checkpoints for Amazon Technical Design Organization
- Sets forward- thinking vision for Technical Design organization and provides input into vision for all of Softlines Private Brands Connects the team vision to the organizational vision
- Creates and drives adoption of mechanisms that enable and promote design culture within the larger Amazon design community.
- Uses industry knowledge and experience to broaden or clarify customer and product problems/opportunities.
- Drive for continual improvement and innovation; sponsor newness
- Drive and evolve a Technical Design strategy; operations, methods, measures of effectiveness
- Help technicians research and resolve fit, pattern and construction issues
- Build audit mechanisms to consistently monitor and check fit, both pre- and post production
- Articulate brand standards to all parties, agents, and final manufacturers
- Benchmark and analyze our fit and quality standards against other key fashion companies to ensure best in class fit and construction
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders and vendor partners to ensure products meet or exceed all requirements
- Influence the supplier's manufacturing processes and policies in ways that are mutually beneficial and sustainable for both organizations
- Partnering closely with cross functional teams including the retail category teams, legal, tax, product compliance, social accountability, trade compliance, finance, transportation, and global suppliers to deliver on brand equity, net revenue, and customer satisfaction
- Collaborating with other members of the Amazon Fashion Private Label team including Brand Managers, Merchandisers, Quality and Fit teams, Marketing, and Inventory Planning on both ongoing and new products
- Travel to Sourcing offices and/or factories to work with technical teams to troubleshoot and understand factory capabilities
- Educate and Certify vendor fit technicians on Amazon Global Fit to improve product fit and execution on our behalf
- Articulate Tech team resource and budget needs to senior managers and facilitates efforts to overcome roadblocks for the team
- Manages other Technical Designers globally and builds strong teams with complementary skills
- Develop and build manuals that help maintain fit protocol and standards for brand
- Thrives in ambiguity and resolves conflicts on behalf of the customer; consistently elevates customer bar in all situations where there's no clear answer
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Clothing & Textiles and/or Fashion Merchandising
- 10+ years of leadership in Apparel quality and fit, preferably with knowledge of technical design and pattern making
- Proficient in Excel
- Proficient in 2d + 3d Pattern making
- Must be willing to travel globally up to 25% of the time.
Proven track record for building teams and cultivating strong relationships with key client and supplier stakeholders that have resulted in high customer satisfaction
- Proven experience in developing long-term relationships, and negotiating strategic agreements to ensure constant cost and quality improvements.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to distill, synthesize, and draw conclusions on large amounts of data
- The ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects requiring frequent communication, organization/time management and problem solving skills
- Familiarity with procurement systems, other third party information systems and ability to learn proprietary systems
- Knowledge of manufacturing, global supply chain, and regulatory requirements
- Experience building out a private label program in a retail environment
- Experience with a general merchandise retailer or consumer packaged goods company
- Experience across multiple categories (Baby and Active) a plus
- Experience in working with 3d pattern making
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top