Senior Tax Compliance Analyst - Indirect State and Local Tax
- Arlington, VA
Amazon is seeking an experienced Senior Analyst Indirect State and Local Tax to join its domestic Indirect Tax Compliance ("ITC") team in Arlington, Virginia. The Amazon Tax Department is a fast-paced, team-focused, dynamic environment. The ITC team is dedicated to owning and leading projects that result in the next generation of tax compliance solutions at Amazon.
This position will be responsible for reviewing purchases to determine whether use tax is applicable, as well as working with Audit, Accounts Payable and other teams to improve processes and automation. Additionally, the role will include preparing and reviewing indirect tax returns and account reconciliations, as well as implementing process efficiencies and improvements, while embracing new technologies. ITC's compliance projects have a high impact on the tax organization.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Review purchases to determine whether use tax is applicable and accrue and remit any tax due.
• Work with Tax Technology, Audit, Accounts Payable and other teams to implement ongoing processes improvements and automation.
• Review and/or prepare monthly indirect tax filings for Amazon & subsidiaries, including but not limited to Sales Tax, Use Tax, Gross Receipts Tax, WA Business & Occupation Tax, and Regulatory Fees.
• Reconciliation of transaction tax general ledger accounts and related SOX controls.
• Develop and implement process improvements across all indirect tax reporting functions, including refinements to current processes and work-papers, as well as utilizing technology to improve and enhance workflow.
• Research and document transaction tax filing issues, positions and processes.
• Provide guidance based on research of transaction tax laws and regulations; and
• Mentor and develop compliance team members.
• BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business.
• 5+ years' of experience in tax, finance, or a related analytical field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 5+ years of transactional (indirect) tax experience with a public accounting firm, a major law firm, and/or multinational corporation.
• 3-5 years of experience with multi-state use tax determinations.
• Detail-oriented, organized and able to deliver on tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
• Able to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management.
• MS Excel proficient, including use of advanced Excel functionality.
• Experience with analyzing and reviewing statutes, regulations, and case law, as well as extracting data, and making appropriate filing position recommendations.
• Work effectively in a team environment both within and outside the tax department.
• Able to champion and implement automation and process improvements, including bots, data analytics and/or other similar technology tools.
• Excellent communications skills - both oral and written.
• CPA, MST or equivalent job experience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top