Senior Systems Development Engineer
- Cupertino, CA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon's innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems with architecturally-unique solutions that enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. The team also develops systems to ensure that every piece of server hardware in AWS is healthy and manageable and builds software that interfaces with thousands of cutting-edge embedded systems all over the world. We are seeking experienced Systems Design and Development Engineers to build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we're handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
What you will do: As a senior member of the Server Hardware Engineering team you will provide technology leadership and own responsibility for leading the design and development of server products utilizing a wide range of design and manufacturing partners. You will work closely with our customers to understand their business goals and define and technical product requirements. You will interact with engineers and business owners across the company and work with an interdisciplinary team to execute design, test, certification, manufacturing and integration into final product SKUs and deployment to data centers around the world.
This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you'll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You'll have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you'll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We're changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for hardware customizations that will directly benefit AWS customers. Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world. We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware. Your work will drive efficiency and significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will touch development teams and customers around the world.
Why you will love it: You will work directly with engineers and product owners across the company to build next-generation hardware. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work
• BS in Electrical/Computer Engineering (or equivalent experience)
• 5+ years' of experience in hardware system design
• 5+ years' experience in compute and storage server architecture and design for large scale applications.
• Experience taking products from concepts to mass production.
• Experience with technical project management
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
• 7+ years of experience in hardware system design
• Experience with server technologies such as: power optimization, board design, thermal, mechanical, BIOS, BMC, signal integrity, networking.
• Hands-on experience with server software and firmware development.
• Experience with server validation and issue root causing
• Deep knowledge of data center infrastructure constraints including networking, power, space, and cooling
• Experience with deploying and operating hardware and applications across large data centers.
• Experience with leading hardware and software development engineering teams
• Developing functional specifications, hardware architecture specifications, design verification plans and functional test procedures.
• Demonstrated commitment to rigorous testing practices and design process flows
• Organizational and planning skills
• Customer focus
• Demonstrated ability to engage technology developers in the industry to track and apply emerging technologies to innovative server designs
• Able to provide the customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions.
• Experience working with and interfacing with interdisciplinary teams to execute product design from concept to production.
• Experience with design and manufacturing processes
• Experience leading ODMs and other suppliers in the product development and manufacturing processes
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/Age
Back to top