Senior System Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to be part of an innovative and highly collaborative environment? Are you looking for a role with ownership and the ability to work across many teams in one of the fastest growing organizations? At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we are obsessed with helping customers revolutionize the way they build and run their applications, helping them bring their ideas to market faster and at a lower cost. Our Managed Services Development team is tasked with building a service that will accelerate the adoption of AWS among enterprise customers and is looking for exceptional System Development Engineers!
What you will do?
As a System Development Engineer you will help build systems and tools for internal use that enable you and your fellow AWS Engineers to operate safely at high speed and wide scale. Your will have the unique opportunity participate and lead architecture workshops, working directly with technical teams from AWS enterprise customers and partners to provide unique solutions to our customers' individual needs for their application deployment. You will lead the implementation for mission critical tooling and abstract away complex workflows enabling our customers to safely operate the world's most scalable infrastructure.
• Lead the builds of Cloud Formation templates to automate and deploy AWS resources and configuration changes.
• Leverage your day-to-day experiences to provide the voice of the customer to internal AWS teams.
• You will own the process for releasing production code to customer facing production environments.
• You will troubleshoot, reproduce and solve challenging operational issues in a complex enterprise environment running fleets of server instances interacting with multiple services across several AWS regions
• Mentor and advise the global team on matters of systems engineering and architecture best practices.
• Drive operational excellence.
• Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that will span multiple AWS services.
Why it matters:
Amazon's Managed Services Development team is building high-impact service management automation for access management systems, host security features (including enterprise-scale anti-virus), Active Directory, Windows Server builds, powered by a variety of AWS services including but not limited to EC2, CloudFormation, SWF, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, S3, ELB, RDS, DynamoDB, EBS and more!
Our goal is to become "The Infrastructure Platform" to the world. Our customers demand the highest quality and reliability, and challenge us to be better, faster and cheaper every day. Developers all over the world rely on our storage, compute, and virtualized services. As we expand at a tremendous rate, we look for innovative ways to build, automate and scale our network, and are responsible for providing significantly improved performance, reliability, control, and visibility for Amazon's global network. How cool is that?
Why you will love it:
You will work with engineers across the company to build products for the next-generation networks. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our developers. You will become a subject matter expert and configure and troubleshoot hardware load balancers and be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. Having ownership for the implementation of your work, you will be part of the development effort from conception through production. If you like working on the bleeding edge of cloud technology and contributing to the success of some of the world's biggest companies, look no further: you belong with us.
• Minimum 5 years' experience in either technical support or software development
• Deep expertise with UNIX-based (including Linux) operating systems
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
• Strong experience working with AWS infrastructure at scale
• Computing fundamentals, including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Programming experience in Python, Java, etc. on a Unix/Linux platform
• Experience with IAM, Active Directory and ADFS
• Experience running and maintaining 24x7 production environments.
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS, CIS, or a related field
• Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment
• Proven ability to communicate effectively in an international environment
• Strong practical Linux and Windows-based systems administration skills in a Cloud or Virtualized environment
• Knowledge of Infrastructure as a Code development (CloudFormation, Terraform)
• DevOps attitude - this is about culture, not only tooling
• Strong sense of customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive
• Experience with software engineering best practices (code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, deployment, release, and change management)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top